Info on Slesse conditons.

DRep

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of friends went up there 2 weeks ago & got turned around at the river crossing--evidently the footbridge was washed out and the river too high to cross safely in their estimation. This was just after a couple days of rain, so I imagine the river is lower; it sounds like you will have to factor in a little more time to find a crossing.

Thats too bad, it was there in June of this year. With regards to the glacier crossing the North Rib glacier is much less threatening and the route is quite good.

Then you can use the cross over descent trail to your bivy and then just pick up your stuff on the way down. PLenty of safe sites and water.

My thoughts were a few thin pins on the rack would make the route protect better, but we had none.

A couple of friends went up there 2 weeks ago & got turned around at the river crossing--evidently the footbridge was washed out and the river too high to cross safely in their estimation. This was just after a couple days of rain, so I imagine the river is lower; it sounds like you will have to factor in a little more time to find a crossing.

were they at the newest trailhead? years ago, I went to the trailhead described in Nelson & Beckey and found no bridge, but old abutments. We waded. Drive further up the road.

Here's the latest topo

http://www.jeremyfrimer.com/visitor/Crossover_Pass_Descent.pdf

I disagree with the fact this guy put in a trail and I think it will grow over in a year, especially the way things grew this year.

And if he put up flagging tape someone should take it down and put up cairns.

I have never understood why anyone would do the shortcut start, you miss about 8 pitches that way including the first which is one of the best. I've always done it from the toe. It's like doing the Salathe and not doing Freeblast.

Either way I would sneak up on the glacier through the trees that come up between the two glacier snowfields to the climbers left of the toe. Then either climb up the hanging glacier skirting near its top to the bypass, or run across the rock to the toe. It's pretty flat right there, we ran it before sunrise the last time we did it.

The logs on the crossing are still in place. Your friends were likely mistakenly using the old trail

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40475

• 3 weeks later...