Z-Pulley Issue

pioneerian

Quick question on an issue I've been having when setting up my Z-pulley system. My prussik knot between my anchors and load is getting pulled through my primary pulley and not obviously stopping at the pulley as it should. Does anyone have a fix for this other than buying a different pulley?

Would appreciate any incite on this as it is driving me crazy.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What pulley model do you have?

You can use many things to equip your ratchet. The best solution for a pulley off the master point would be to have a Prussik minding pulley like the Petzl Mini. However, there are many options: Belay device (should mind), Consecutive Pear Locking Biner's (should mind - one on the master point, one on the prussik loop used in a bachmann knot - both going the SAME direction so that the Large loop of the Rachet biner rams into the Small loop of the Bachmann carabiner). These are the best minding examples I can think of.

Hopefully that makes sense (difficult without pix).

Most of the time i use a tibloc instead of a prussik as my ratchet as I seldom use a pulley at my master point. Instead i use my pulley at the prussik i am hauling on. The friction isn't too bad and i can usually haul someone of my equal weight by myself. Simple and effective for me.

Edited by Dave7

Use a prusik minding pulley (PMP) at the anchor. When you pull the rope through the PMP the prusik breaks free as you pull. When you stop pulling the prusik locks off and you reset the other pulley - which does not have to be a PMP. Be sure to reset the non-PMP before pulling them too close together.

or use:

Garda Hitch

ATC-Guide/Reverso in autoblocking mode

Alternately, here is a photo of the ATC/Prussik combo in use that was mentioned above. (bottom strand is load strand/climber):

IMG_06541.JPG

Of course, carabiners are only 50-60% friction efficient...

but carrying a pulley that you never use is 100% inefficient...

a reasonable size-up of rescue pulley systems can be found here

Edited by kurthicks

Don't plan on using the garda hitch without practicing first. I've tried using it several times in self-rescue practice and never found it easy to use. I finally decided I just don't like it and won't use it unless I can't figure out something else.

That's not autoblocking mode. In fact in this pic the belay device is doing exactly ZERO of anything.

I changed my wording to make it more clear as to what was going on in the picture.

It's not in autoblocking mode...it's being used to substitute for a prussik minding pulley, to prevent the Prussik hitch from pulling through the carabiner...which is what the original poster was asking about.

• 1 year later...