New Poor Judgement Bolt on City Park

Doug T

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this negativity and energy expended about one bolt. Endless arguments about really trivial matters is pathetic. Sounds like a married couple in a heated argument.

We all like climbing, wether it is bolted or not. Why can't we all just get along? No wonder why certain people got into mixed, big wall and bouldering. To get away from this nonsense bickering.

Edited by genepires

Also the comparison of sport to trad from a resources standpoint is not all that different. Sport climbers use draws with aluminum beaners and Gri-Gri's which are heavy aluminum devices. I was talking more the impact on the rock faces. I will grant you trad is probably no better from an overall viewpoint.

Hey. Buckaroo! You've made many interesting points but I have to disagree with your latter statement. One of the key environmental points of trad climbing is to place your own gear and remove it, thus leaving the rock in a decent state for the next climber, for generations to come. Sport-climbing is the antithesis of this and leaves a permanent deteriorating metallic trail for all to follow wherever one pleases.

You want to dumb down the second pitch of City Park even more?....add a few more bolts and make it a sport-like climb...check out "Numbah Ten" just a few dozen yards away.

And "RuMR: Nice to see that you continue to honor me with one of my favorite quotes."

anytime Dwayner... :wave:

I'm going to argue that it is very vital. Of all my activities climbing is the greatest challenge and keeps me mentally and physically fit more than any other.

Here's an example. When Steve House and Marko Prezelj did the 3rd ascent (in 30 years) of North Twin, there was a climbing groupie that said she wanted to have Marko's baby. What do you think is going on there?

What do you propose? That we all lie on the couch with no challenges? Where do you think the species is headed in that case?

so chicks are more attracted to tradsters than bolt clippers? interesting argument from the planet known as Buckaroo. some people climb because it is fun, others because they think it makes the opposite sex perceive them as superior breeding stock (i.e., "a stud").

if i've understood you, your argument is that the bolt on city park pitch 2 needs to be removed in order to ensure that human evolution doesn't stagnate -- is that about right?

that's what i was thinking about his post...i thought "now i have heard every argument against and for trad climbing or bolted sport routes...but golly gee willikers, never heard that line of reasoning before..."

Pretty simple equation: is the pro adequate there for a competent trad leader of the grade or not?

No? Replace the bolt.

Yes? Remove the bolt.

It ain't rocket science...

It ain't that simple Joe. Keep your friggin hands off of other peoples routes. If you did not put up the route, that you don't get to chop or add bolts without permission, and that goes for anyone. Certainly you can exercise free will and do whatever, but then someone else might decide to exercise free will on your face.

I think its pretty humorous that some people like to get a route wired by repeating it endless times, and then they get all uptight and arrogant about a fixed piece of gear on a route that they don't need (since they have the route wired), thinking that this somehow makes them a bigger man or a tougher climber. GO CLIMB A DIFFERENT ROUTE BOYS. Something a little harder, more desperate, more challenging. But noooooooo, that would require some balls. Leave the damn bolts put in by the first ascentionist alone. Period, unless it is replacement. If you want to prove your worth to everyone, then there is a time tested method of doing that, and its called soloing. But don't think you are fooling anyone by trying to retro chop bolts with indignation. Fawking pussies.

All this negativity and energy expended about one bolt. Endless arguments about really trivial matters is pathetic. Sounds like a married couple in a heated argument.

We all like climbing, wether it is bolted or not. Why can't we all just get along? No wonder why certain people got into mixed, big wall and bouldering. To get away from this nonsense bickering.

You have to admit, it's kind of amusing to see trad climbing promoted as a valuable aspect of human evolution and genetic advancement. Maybe someone should make TradClimberMating.com to serve this market.

All necessary information has been posted and discussed, plenty of position statements have been issued and any individual has as much input as they need to come to their own conclusion, so get off your soapboxes, this thread is done. Go start another one in Spray if you want to continue down the path this thing is going.