Lyme Disease

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty rare in NW overall unless you traveled to wisky or the NE.

able to identify the tick at all? deer tick primary vector, very very tiny - dealt with a lot of them on the AT.

immediate prophylactic Doxycycline regimine. get it early get out clean.

Just so everyone knows, I'm way beyond the point of early stage treatment. I'm looking for people with experince in late stage Lyme treatment and diagnosis. I'm on a somehwat good track towards some sort of treatment at this point. But am still interested in exploring all options, and taking advice on any reccomended Doctors in the NW.

Thanks everyone.

Tyler

Edited by corvallisclimb

Hippy herbal shop:

http://dandelionbotanical.com/

They helped my bro-in-law with late stage Lyme. They might be able to steer you to some docs who can help in the Seattle area. My BIL is on the East Coast where the medical establishment consider you cured after one month of IV antibiotics. He recently got a new doc who is trying to fight the collateral infections.

PM me if you need more info.

Just so everyone knows, I'm way beyond the point of early stage treatment. I'm looking for people with experince in late stage Lyme treatment and diagnosis. I'm on a somehwat good track towards some sort of treatment at this point. But am still interested in exploring all options, and taking advice on any reccomended Doctors in the NW.

Thanks everyone.

Tyler

Glad to hear you are on treatment already, I know some folks that ignored it and twenty years later they can hardly walk (like MS bad). That shouldn't be your case though.

I was bitten in the BWCAW and my face was half paralyzed before I made it out to get treatment. After getting pumped up on antibiotics my doc told me to stay active, even if it is just long walks. I know I was getting minocycline when I went in for my IV's. That is the one you want for late stage stuff since it is able to get to the bacteria that has gone from you blood into your nervous system. I had a full smile a shortly after the treatment started and glad for it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

~Adam

I wish I had something to share about Lyme, but a few things:

I wish you luck on a positive outcome.

Really hope you can share your journey and experiences here Tyler, it will add to the knowledge base. Ticks are one of our hobbies more common issues, and even if Lyme is not that common now, tomorrow we might all be hit and could use what you learn to help us or a buddy out when he's bit by a radioactive spider.

I suppose that it's all a matter of time till we all check out, the journey is what is important. Regards to all and once again, get well soon.

I wish I had something to share about Lyme, but a few things:

I wish you luck on a positive outcome.

Really hope you can share your journey and experiences here Tyler, it will add to the knowledge base. Ticks are one of our hobbies more common issues, and even if Lyme is not that common now, tomorrow we might all be hit and could use what you learn to help us or a buddy out when he's bit by a radioactive spider.

I suppose that it's all a matter of time till we all check out, the journey is what is important. Regards to all and once again, get well soon.

Yeah Bill, I will say this. Take every tick bite very seriously. I still don't know when it was that I became infected, but I'd assume it was most likely on the West coast. I'd always heard, and will still continue to hear that there isn't Lyme on the West coast. Thats bullshit, it is everywhere. If I didn't figure this out sooner, who knows what could have happend, and at this point I still don't know what is going to happen. But I at least have some answers. I'm learning more and more every day how serious it really is. Watch "Under Our Skin" as was said before, that might make you think a little more the next time your bitten by a tick. I couldn't watch more than 25 minnutes of it, as I didn't really need to be reminded how I feel any more. But for those interested try and educate your self a little bit more, I wish I had. Like Bill said, I would not be surprised if this became a serious problem in the near future. On that note, fuck the CDC. Hope everyone is getting out and crushing it, because I would be if I could :)

I'd always heard, and will still continue to hear that there isn't Lyme on the West coast. Thats bullshit, it is everywhere.

Totally agree. As I already PMd you about, I picked up the early stages when I was down in Yosemite a couple years ago. Looking at this map definitely suggests that its made it way to the west side.

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Yeah I was bit in 2008 in Yosemite. So who knows? I even took 2 weeks of Doxycycline, but now I don't remember if I started right away, how consistant I was, if I finished the whole RX, etc... My memory has gone a little bit hazy now I think so its hard to remember certain things. Going to try and climb tomorrow, should be nice :)

I'm from Connecticut, so I know a bunch of people who've had Lyme disease. All but one are completely symptom free after getting treated with anti-biotics.

I got bitten, myself, 18 years ago. I never saw the tick (deer ticks are so small you almost never find them), but I came down with a 105 degree fever and spent five days in the hospital in a semi-coma (I was in and out).

After I got out of the hospital, I spent two weeks laid out with the worst headache of my life as a side-effect of the spinal tap.

After that, the drugs I was on caused some minor organ failure and I was taken back to the hospital for one more night.

Since then, I've been symptom-free.

• 3 weeks later...

I would encourage you to find a rheumatologist or infectious disease doctor with experience treating patients with post-Lyme disease syndrome. Be wary of anyone who calls it "chronic Lyme disease" as this is a catch phrase used by usually well-meaning but ill-informed people. There is a large body of evidense to show that the chronic symptoms some patients have following primary infection are NOT due to a chronic infection. Long-term antibiotics have been shown to be unhelpful (except for placebo effect) and in fact caused many side effects including death. The current recommendations are to rule-out other causes and address/treat symptoms with conservative measures.