The new Petzl Lynx crampons?

Dane

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they look nice, but I can't see any really major advances over the cyborg/G14. Certainly a major step up from the M10, but over the rest of the crampon field, I don't think I'll be lining up to replace my cyborgs anytime soon.

Edit - I guess the 12 downward points is a good feature, and the different toe bails is a great idea, but still, I'm pretty happy with my cyborgs and am looking forward to looking at some Stingers

Edited by EastCoastBastard

Have to think that is shorts ighted Graham. The advantage of the 12 equal down points is a big deal. I can easily say that because I noticed the difference early on, having climbed in the new Stinger, the Cyborgs and the only other 12 down, the newest Sabertooth.

Spend a day on a pair of new Sabertooths and the obvious advantages of the 12 down (which Petzl smartly mimic'ed here) are clearly noticable.

Instead of a "fast" copy of the Dart (which is what the Stinger is) they should have put that R&D into this "new" crampon pattern that Petzl went for. Petzl was two or three steps ahead on design with the Lynx but sadly nothing new, just all done better and finally all in one package.

• 2 months later...

I think the price on these is crazzeee! But yet I bought myself a pair today at Au Vieux Campeur in gay Paree, 188 Euros.

The tipping point for me was the dual option for front bails coupled with replaceable front points. Essentially for me it was a solution which otherwise would have required 2 pairs of crampons, PLUS longer term durability through replacement of worn parts. I can sell off a couple of pairs of used 'pons to offset the prix tres cher.

I must say though, refering to a blog post of Dane's from a little while back - the quality of finishing on them looks pretty crude. Very jagged surfaces, and a few of the sizing holes on the bar are blocked by the paint finish. :tdown: