Massive development in the middle of Red Rocks!!

ericandlucie

If you love Red Rocks, please read on.

If you've ever climbed at Red Rocks (who hasn't?), you understand how real the development pressure to this unique area has been in the last many years. The Las Vegas suburb of Summerlin has now reached the very edge of the conservation area. Some of us remember the days (only 15 years ago) when it was a long semi-rural drive from the edge of town to Red Rocks. But at least for now, development has stopped from that direction and is still relatively far and largely out of sight from the cliffs and canyons we love.

That is about to change.

If local developer Jim Rhodes gets his way, the entire Blue Diamond Hill (the massive hill at the center of the RR cirque, that forms the foreground of the view from anywhere at Red Rocks, and the backdrop to the BLM campground, and is currently completely undeveloped) will become a brand new town of 5,000+ homes and about 15,000 residents, complete with shopping malls, schools, etc. An official plan has recently been submitted to the county by the developers: it effectively puts a brand new mid-size city right in the middle of the conservation area.

The distance between the escarpment and the closest modern developments will drop from the current 10 miles to less than 3.5 miles.

BD_development_map.jpg

This translates to an increase in the light and noise pollution by a factor of more than 8, not even accounting for the buffer effect played by the currently undeveloped hill! If this plan goes forward, you may not even need a headlamp anymore for those early morning approaches to Resolution Arete!

For more details about the history of this situation, please see the first two references below.

On August 17 at 9AM, the Clark County Zoning Commission will meet to approve/disapprove this plan.

Opposition to the plan (www.saveredrock.com) has to date remained localized around the small town of Blue Diamond and local Las Vegas newspapers, largely due to a lack of information among the larger community.

Because climbers are uniquely attached to this area, I believe they are the most likely group to stand up for its preservation. For the last few weeks, some of us have been trying to spread the word within the climbing community. A public outcry to the officials involved, particularly if coming from the entire nation, may have a good chance of changing the outcome and saving this unique area.

Here’s what you can do (in order of decreasing urgency, but remember, the key decision will be made on August 17, so there are only a few days to act):

1. Call or write e-mails to Clark county commissioners:

Do this now, and certainly before August 15! See contact information below.

2. Ask your friends to do the same: please forward this e-mail to all your friends!

3. Sign the petition

4. Send e-mails to congressmen and the BLM

5. If you live reasonably close to Vegas, be at the Clark County zoning commission meeting on August 17, and either speak up or wear/carry evidence of your position on the issue.

Please ACT!

On behalf of the future of Red Rocks: thank you!

APPENDICES

Contact Information:

Clark county commissioners:

All commissioners can be reached by phone at: (702) 455-3500

All commissioners can receive faxes at: (702) 455-3271

Clark County Commissioners, 500 S. Grand Central Parkway, Las Vegas, NV 89155

Steve Sisolak, District A, ccdista@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Tom Collins, District B, ccdistb@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Larry Brown, District C, ccdistc@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Lawrence Weekly, District D, ccdistd@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Chris Giunchigliani, District E, ccdiste@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Susan Brager, District F, ccdistf@ClarkCountyNV.gov

Mary Beth Scow, District G, ccdistg@ClarkCountyNV.gov

BLM Southern Nevada District Office:

Mary Jo Rugwell, District Manager,

4701 North Torrey Pines Drive

Las Vegas, NV 89130

Phone: 702-515-5000

Fax: 702-515-5023

Email: lvfoweb@blm.gov

NV Congressmen/women: (even if you don't live in NV, it doesn't mean you shouldn't contact them)

Senator Harry Reid (D- NV), 202-224-3542, http://reid.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Senator Dean Heller (R- NV), 202-224-6244, heller.senate.gov/contact_form.cfm

Representative Shelley Berkley (D-01), 202-225-5965, shelley.berkley@mail.house.gov

Representative Joe Heck (R-03), 202-225-3252, https://heck.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

Upcoming Clark County Zoning Commission meeting:

August 17 (Wednesday), 9:00 a.m.,

Clark County Government Building, Commission Chambers

Government Center, 500 S. Grand Central Parkway, Las Vegas, NV.

Suggested key points for use in e-mails to officials:

• Red Rocks is a National Conservation Area, of considerable interest to all Americans and foreign tourists, with a unique oasis-like flora and fauna and amazing scenery.

• Red Rocks is a world-renowned climbing area, visited each year by thousands of climbers from the US and abroad. Those climbers spend their time and money at Red Rocks because of its unique beauty and undeveloped character.

• Contrary to biased assertions in the developer’s plan, the proposed development is in plain unobstructed view from most of the hiking and climbing locales in the Red Rocks NRA. The top of the Blue Diamond hill is in fact the most immediately scenic feature from these places.

• There are plenty of remaining areas available for development in the Las Vegas valley. The Red Rock Canyon NRA is a unique resource to the people of Las Vegas and visitors from all over and it must be preserved

References and Links:

“Rhodes submits revised plan for developing Blue Diamond Hill,” By Scott Wyland, Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 7, 2011. http://www.lvrj.com/news/rhodes-submits-revised-plan-125130408.html

“Jim Rhodes is Coming: his homes will rise in Red Rock, but how sprawling is the developer's secret plan?” by Jason Whited, Las Vegas City Life, February 24, 2011, http://www.lasvegascitylife.com/articles/2011/02/24/news/local_news/iq_42408246.txt

The developer’s plan, ironically titled “Gypsum Reclamation Concept Plan”, Gypsum Resources, LLC, June 29, 2011, http://www.reviewjournal.com/media/download/rhodes_plan.pdf

Website of the local action group: www.saveredrock.com

Mountainproject.com thread about the issue: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/red-rock-threatened-by-development/107227001

SuperTopo.com thread: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1565955/Red-Rocks-under-imminent-threat-of-development

Edited by ericandlucie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't anyone care?

I'm sure a lot of folks care a great deal--myself included--but I'm not sure who would want to be associated with this type of nonsense:

Wow! Count me in. Are you sending emails to all these folks or is one contact going to have more effect than the others. Personally... I think a .308 is the way to go.

You should do your best to distance yourself and your cause from this type of idiot.

Fairweather: I have enough work trying to get people mobilized against this thing. If I had to answer all the idiotic comments made on these fora, I wouldn't do anything else.

How convenient too, that you'd use one comment like that to excuse yourself and everyone else from inaction... have you sent any e-mails?

Edited by ericandlucie

Doesn't anyone care?

I'm sure a lot of folks care a great deal--myself included--but I'm not sure who would want to be associated with this type of nonsense:

Wow! Count me in. Are you sending emails to all these folks or is one contact going to have more effect than the others. Personally... I think a .308 is the way to go.

You should do your best to distance yourself and your cause from this type of idiot.

Ha! Dude, Fairweather, sorry i offended you. I mean geez, are you really that thin skinned and literal?! You must be a load of fun to hang out with! By the way, i sent an email to every person on the list. Guess i'm an idiot

Thank you ericandlucie!

Hilarious!! Yeah i'm sure as soon as i posted on this website several anti terrorist govt. organizations mobilized to take me out! What do you think? DEA, ATF, FBI? Possibly a Joint Task Force???? What would be really flattering is if they sent Seal Team 6 or Delta! I make one flippant comment and you've got me pegged as the next Tim McVeigh. Quit watching Fox news bro, I'd say you are a little more than paranoid! You should seriously consider a career with the Dept of Homeland Security. I'm going climbing today, i hope i don't secretly get abducted by men in black ski masks in Icicle Canyon!! LOL!!!!!!

Hilarious!! Yeah i'm sure as soon as i posted on this website several anti terrorist govt. organizations mobilized to take me out! What do you think? DEA, ATF, FBI? Possibly a Joint Task Force???? What would be really flattering is if they sent Seal Team 6 or Delta! I make one flippant comment and you've got me pegged as the next Tim McVeigh. Quit watching Fox news bro, I'd say you are a little more than paranoid! You should seriously consider a career with the Dept of Homeland Security. I'm going climbing today, i hope i don't secretly get abducted by men in black ski masks in Icicle Canyon!! LOL!!!!!!

Next time you catch a flight, be sure to tell some good BOMB jokes in the screening line. TSA staff love a good laugh. :lmao:

Uh, yeah, that's comparable.... Careful Dave, you used the word BOMB in an internet forum, now you are also a terrorist combatant and may possibly be accused of conspiring with me! Better distance yourself and your cause! Hahaha! Welcome to hell :)

I'm still free by the way!!!!!! Super heinous escape from the authorities today at Bear Cave Rock!! I can't wait for the royalties to come rolling in off of this fugitive epic!!! Movie at 11... and get this... there's rappelling in it!!!

Edited by brad

Hey all!

Wanted to get back to the issue at hand here. This seriously has the potential to affect one of our favorite places to climb.

This development will have a huge visual and human impact in the area. Mountain Gear has started urging county commissioners to consider the impacts of the development on recreation and climbing in the NCA. We feel all climbers should be involved with this issue.

EricandLucie have been great about getting the word out about this. So here's my beta... check out www.saveredrock.com to sign the petition or for information.

Wyeth Larson

Sustainability Coordinator

Mountain Gear