Found...Camera on Lynch Glacier route-Mt Daniel

Mark K

My brother & his son were on the Lynch Glacier route to Daniel last weekend and they found a Nikon digital camera that had to have been through a couple seasons of snow & wet where it was left/misplaced/dropped. Brought it home, no luck resuscitatng the camera itself, but did manage to get the battery door open & pried out & dried out the memory card and worked a while to see if we could pull pics from it. Initial attempts failed, but finally - Success! 108 photos! Now we want to get the camera and the pics back to their rightful owner. If you lost your camera after a rather tough brushwhacking section of the trail :) or anyone with knowledge of this climbing party (somewhere between 2005 and the present day) the pics were of only one individual most likely taken by another in the party, subject is a middle aged male on what looks to be a late season trek in the area) please either post to the board some more details or contact me directly at mmkrockaway at gmail.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not try posting a pic or two of the subject(s) here, too? Someone on this board might recognize them and that might help to expedite the reuniting process.

And recovering the pics from the camera sounds really cool, in a Mallory-Irvine sort of way... although certainly not as many years between exposure and recovery. :)

if you look at the EXIF data encoded in the images that could very well tell you when the images were taken, assuming that the owner had set the proper date and time. also the camera serial number may have been registered with nikon for warranty.

one option for seeing the EXIF data is Irfanview, it's free, http://www.irfanview.com/ (I'd get and install all the irfanview plugins as well).

Sample of the image tag:

Modified: Friday, September 16, 2005 8:43 p.m.

(If the camera person is like me..."eh, why bother re-setting the date & time?" So - we don't really know the actual date & time for sure.)

Dimensions: 2592X1944

Device make:NIKON

Device model: ES200

Color Space: RGB

Focal Length: 7.8000002

Exposure time:0.01i58736

It seems more than a bit voyeuristic to post an image of the subject in nearly ALL of the pictures I found. There are none of the person taking the pictures.

The camera is toast, but the images could be "priceless." I was initially worried that something unfortunate could have happened to this climber, along with his or her camera, so I've been hesitant to upload a pic. John - what do you think? Would it be ok to post a very sharp detailed picture of the owner?

DSCN07721.JPG

Here's the summit pic I chose to hopefully connect with this individual climber & his pictures of the Mt. Daniel Climb! If anyone has any information, please post to the board or e-mail me at mmkrockaway at gmail.com. Thanks.

I guess I'd just post up a face shot, your intentions are good, you are trying to do the right thing. Somebody lost a camera and they are probably wondering to this day what became of it. If you have a web gallery post it there and send out the link. Larger than what you first posted would be helpful, hard to get much out of that first one. That is getting on to six years ago so the odds are long but who knows.