Average time to climb from Paradise to Camp Muir?

WildBlue

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did it in 4.5 hours with full packs on two weeks ago, steady pace and 2 decent breaks. Pretty fit crew that's been fairly active of late.

5 hours is about what RMI seems to do with full packs. Conditions and your condtion can affect that also the altitude affects people differently.

I guess the question is are you asking for planning purposes or if that is a good time?

Both. It was my first time to Muir so I have nothing to really gauge my time against. I am wondering how fast other people do it. It was a complete whiteout fog so I couldn't see any of my surroundings, and it's hard to get any kind of perspective on distances or speed like that.

I heard average time can vary from 3-4 hours depending on fitness. I have a friend, who was hiking up to ski down, do it in in under 2 and a half hours. I think I've read trip reports on TAY where times range from just under two hours to 3 hours without breaks. I'm assuming some of these are during early spring conditions where skinning up might be quicker than bootpacking. As far as jogging up up to Muir, if you are so inclined for an intense workout, the record is around 52-53 minutes supposedly done by a park ranger.

I would not be so worried about time my first time up, I'd be happy just to make it for my first time, then I'd worry about time on following trips.

I heard average time can vary from 3-4 hours depending on fitness. I have a friend, who was hiking up to ski down, do it in in under 2 and a half hours.

That's been my experience. I've done it in 2.5 hours on the fast end with nothing but a liter of water, a puffy, and a hamburger in my pack, or 9.5 hours dragging a full keg. That was a long day on the snowfield...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if speed is the best indicator of fitness although there is a certain range you should be within.

I used to do it in 4 hours but haven't done it in a number of years.

How did you feel after the effort? How did you feel the next day? How do you think you would feel if you did it twice?

GPS is the new answer to the white out. Be careful up there, be ready to dig a snow cave, the mountain makes it's own weather and it can come in very quickly. Watch out for the occasional small crevasse. People have died on this approach from the weather.

• 4 weeks later...