Mt. Adams 7-23 South Side

It was a gorgeous day. Blue and sunny skies. I started off at 630am from the Cold Spring campground and started off (I used trail running shoes). The snow was firm at that time. Temp not sure - but I was wearing running pants and t-shirt. By the time I got to the base of false summit (around 930am) the snow was softer but no problems using trail shoes.

From base of false summit to the true summit, I used crampons. The snow was really soft, probably could have used trail shoes, but crampons provided sure traction. Only a little wind until I got to the top of false summit - wind picked up like crazy and I layered up.

The true summit was awesome. I headed down and the snow was perfect for glissading (got to false summit at 230p). That... saved me so much time and it was a blast.

Let me know if you have any questions about the climb or the conditions.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have questions, for you or anyone who's been up recently:

Thinking of going up around Sun/Mon. Anyone been up with skis?

Wondering if its still good, and worth it for my son and I to bring 'em. . . And, snow begins about where on the trail?

I'm hoping there's still a fair amount up there, and it's worth it to bring skis, and then ski almost all the way down. . .

Hoping.

We skied the SW Chutes this past Sunday (7/31). They're in great shape and there's plenty of snow. Bring the skis; you won't regret it.

Hey JoeMack,

Thanks for that update. I've never done the chutes, though I'd like to. What's the peak corn time, 11ish? How's the traverse from the chutes back to the main trail? How long, easy to find, etc?

Thanks.

Peak Corn time: It will depend on the weather, but if it's a typical summer day, then I'd say between 11 and 12:30. Skiing off the summit is actully the best I've seen it, so if you do go to the summit to ski, plan on some extra time to get up there and back to the SW Chutes.

Traverse Back: The best way, in my opininon, is to continue sking down to the bottom of the chutes, bearing left across the flats at the bottom of the chutes. When you can't ski anymore, take the skis off and scramble down to the Around the Mountain Trail. It's at about 6,080 feet and it right next to a small waterfall (keep the creek on your right as you descend to the trail). Switch over to trail shoes and follow the ATM trail back to the South Climb trail. It takes over an hour to get back to Cold Springs trailhead. This assumes you didn't camp out and leave your gear at Lunch Counter.