Beacon Rock tragedy

Benjio

I logged on to this site because I was friends with Nate and I was wondering if there is going to be a memorial service. I have not seen anything in the papers. I am a climber too, but I actually met Nate outside of climbing and didn't find out about our mutual climbing interests until running into him at the climbing gym. He was so humble and open minded, he actually caused me to rethink a lot of things in my life. Not knowing his family, work family and otherwise, I don't know if I will learn of a memorial. If anyone on here hears, would you please pass on the info?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard from jeff thomas there was a memorial out there today.

it sounds like this tragedy could have been prevented by the old standby of not unclipping your daisy from the anchor until after you've weighted and stressed your rap device. sucks that omitting such a simple thing can have such dire consequences :(

Yah I was out there this morning with a whole mess of guys from work. We had a nice memorial time where we got to celebrate Nates life and share fond memories we all had of our time with him.

Thanks to whoever was climbing and took a break while we were there. Also thanks for cross-posting some more details about what happened. We were basically left to wonder and speculate, so it is actually helpful towards some form of closure. Of course it is tragically sad to think that it was a preventable accident, but helps to remind us all to be careful and watch out for each other.

Thanks for all the condolences. It's tough even to write this; every time insay his name or remember a specific memory my eyes start to well up and my lips begin to quiver as I realize I'll never see him again. He left us with nothing but great memories. Godspeed Nate.

Edited by Benjio

I just got back from Alaska yesterday, where I met Nate and his cousin Andrew on the Ruth Glacier back in May. They were camped next to us, and after a few stormy days we were all pretty good friends. They managed to climb Dickey, Barrill, did some rock climbing, and made two attempts on Dan Beard, one of which we joined them for. The breakfast that they made on my birthday stands out as one of the best meals of my life: a huge scramble, eaten on a sunny morning in one of the most beautiful places in the world, with music and good friends. We later met up and partied in Talkeetna. In a big volleyball game that some locals organized, Nate turned out to be the key player, quietly and humbly scoring about 90% of the points.

Nate seemed to be a solid, responsible climber, and I could tell that he was at home in the mountains. I had been looking forward to having him show me around Beacon, and we had talked about doing some climbs in the North Cascades as well. In all of my memories of him he has a big smile on his face.

Condolences to his other friends and his family. Peace be with you all.

i heard from jeff thomas there was a memorial out there today.

it sounds like this tragedy could have been prevented by the old standby of not unclipping your daisy from the anchor until after you've weighted and stressed your rap device. sucks that omitting such a simple thing can have such dire consequences :(

I even do this at the gym. We don't use daisys there, so at the top of the wall, I grab the top, pull myself up and tell my partner to take. I sit down on his take, double check my knot, and if everything is working, let go of the top and start lowering. Never forget this is a dangerous sport, even the pro's make mistakes (Lynn Hill and her untied, un-weighted knot).

My condolences to the family for their loss. Be careful out there...

I had been looking forward to having him show me around Beacon...

Sorry for your loss, feel free to pm myself or just post up here for someone to show you around Beacon if you ever make it down. We can't replace Nate in that role, but would be happy to do what we can to see you enjoy yourself...

Thanks for letting me know that it happened (the memorial). I guess I can stop checking the internet constantly. Too bad I didn't know his coworkers and family because I would have liked to have gone. Miss him.

You can go to the base of the climb and see the memorial that is set up. With pictures and flowers. It was really nice. I paid my respects this morning before climbing today. Goodbye fallen comrade.