Wildlife of the cascades

Alasdair

Ok dont know if many of you guys care about this, but I put together this blog post last week with photos and some information of all the wildlife I have seen and photographed above treeline in the Cascades. For some of the birds I included links to the call since most of us hear the birds but never see them (click the links, I guarantee you have heard these bird calls if you ever pay attention).

Hope you enjoy the photos, and I would love to know what other things I am missing in this list. What birds and animals have you guys seen above tree line in the cascades? Yea I dont have a photo of a bushy tailed woodrat. I would love to get one, but it would likely be impaled on an ice axe pick. I also dont have a kangaroo mouse on the blog, but I do have a photo of one I need to dig up.

Here is the link to the post.

http://alasdairturner.blogspot.com/2011/07/animals-and-birds-of-washingtons-alpine.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how common the Hermit Thrush is around here (even though the range map shows it in this area). I may have heard these, but I much more often hear the Swainson's Thrush. Slightly, but noticeably different call.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Swainsons_Thrush/sounds

Nice blog post though, it is cool to see some familiar faces. . . . Let me know if you want a pic of a ptarmigan in winter plumage to use on the blog.

No snaffles though???? Have you never had the pleasure of meeting one up close and personal? :pagetop:

Hermit thrush is more common near treeline, swainsons deeper in the forest. Swainsons are very common at index. I have a bunch of ptarmigan in winter plumage photos, I just have not uploaded them yet. I would love to see the photos though.

Ah....thanks for the clarification on the thrushes. Are the rosy finches the ones you see sometimes very high around the summits, flying in small flocks? If so, I agree with the Commander- they do show up in the most unusual places.

When I get home I will try and upload a winter ptarmigan photo.

Nice post, that's an interesting list. I think you're more correct to put the Anna's Hummingbird up since I'm fairly certain that the range for the Ruby-throated Hummingbird doesn't extend this far west. Maybe you are thinking of the Rufous Hummingbird? I see those quite often.

Nice post, that's an interesting list. I think you're more correct to put the Anna's Hummingbird up since I'm fairly certain that the range for the Ruby-throated Hummingbird doesn't extend this far west. Maybe you are thinking of the Rufous Hummingbird? I see those quite often.

I was camped at Squamish once and a Rufous Hummingbird somehow got inside the van at 6am and proceeded to buzz around frantically until we opened the door and let it out. An exciting wake up call!

BTW - beautiful shot of the hummingbird -- it's super sharp!