AAJ only available to members?

CascadeClimber

I got an email from Michael Chessler today that says the AAJ will not be sold at retail any longer; you must be a member to get a copy.

He's of the opinion that this is a misguided attempt by the board to drive up $75/year memberships. If so, I tend to agree with his assessment.

Anyone have additional info on this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

—American Alpine Journal Now Member-only Benefit—

GOLDEN, CO—The American Alpine Club (AAC) formally announces today that the hard-copy version of the 2011American Alpine Journal (AAJ)—and future print editions of the AAJ—will be available only to AAC members. This change from past policy was adopted by the AAC Board of Directors in February 2011.

The switch in policy is part of a wide-reaching Five-Year Strategic Plan (http://www.americanalpineclub.org/p/5-year-plan) developed from thousands of surveys and interviews with AAC members and non-members.

“Our members come first,” says AAC Information & Marketing Director Erik Lambert. “Member dues directly support AAC programs: publications, community events, conservation, advocacy for climbers, grants, and more. Non-member sales of the AAJ required significant up-front investment and little return. To ensure that we’re giving back to the climbers who support us, we are optimizing the use of Club funds—away from programs that do not benefit members and into more forward-thinking member benefits and technologies. Ever-improving online resources will ensure that The American Alpine Journal continues on as the world’s go-to record of significant climbs.”

The new policy will not affect those who hope to conduct research using AAJ online resources. Both members and non-members may access PDFs of 1929–2009 AAJs at:

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/site/aajsearch. Significant portions of the 2009–2011 AAJs are also available for free at AAJ Online: http://aaj.americanalpineclub.org.

As usual, AAC members will have early access to full digital versions of the most current Journal, accessed through their member profile on the AAC website.

The 2011 AAJ has been printed; all AAC members who are active on July 31, 2011 will receive this 400-page book. Contributors and participating clubs and libraries also will receive the 2011 AAJ in hard copy. Members can expect their copies of the 2011 AAJ and 2011 Accidents in North American Mountaineering to arrive in late August this year.

About The American Alpine Club

The American Alpine Club provides knowledge and inspiration, conservation and advocacy, and logistical support for the climbing community. The AAC advocates for American climbers domestically and around the world; provides grants and volunteer opportunities to protect and conserve the places we climb; hosts local and national climbing festivals and events; publishes two of the world’s most sought-after climbing annuals, The American Alpine Journal and Accidents in North American Mountaineering; cares for the world’s leading climbing library and country’s leading mountaineering museum; manages the Grand Teton Climbers’ Ranch as part of a larger lodging network for climbers; and annually gives $80,000+ toward climbing, conservation, and research grants to adventurers who travel the world. Learn about additional programs and become a member at americanalpineclub.org. Join the AAC’s online community atfacebook.com/americanalpineclub.

About The American Alpine Journal

Published since 1929, The American Alpine Journal is the premier annual record of significant mountaineering and long rock climbing ascents worldwide.

So the AAC wants non-members to donate trip reports which it, in turn, will not allow same contributors to purchase in book form?

Whoever came up with this idea is not very sharp. As long as this policy is in place I won't be sending anything in.

Contributors and participating clubs and libraries also will receive the 2011 AAJ in hard copy. Members can expect their copies of the 2011 AAJ and 2011 Accidents in North American Mountaineering to arrive in late August this year.

Sorry you can't buy a copy but I guess they will give you one...

Personally, I am stoked to have re-upped this year after a 4 year lapse and I got to renew my Alpinist subscription at a discount at the SBP kickoff event.