[TR] Black Peak - NE Ridge 7/10/2011

mitch334

Trip: Black Peak - NE Ridge

Date: 7/10/2011

Trip Report:

Short Version:

Nick, Jason, Matt, and I simul-climbed the NE Ridge of Black Peak for a BOEALPS ICC alpine outing. The weather and route was in great condition. We had snow from the parking lot to the start of the climb. The actual route was snow free except for a short section between the false and actual summit. Get out there before the boulder field shows up!

Saturday:

• 09:00 Left Rainy Pass TR

• 12:00 Heather Pass

• 18:00 Setup camp at Wing Lake

Sunday:

• 05:00 On the trail

• 06:30 Reached the start of the climb

• 11:30 Summit!

• 13:30 Back at Wing Lake

• 16:30 Back at the Cars

Detailed Version:

We were finally off after a little confusion about what trail to start from due to some variations in maps (its up the hill behind the trail head sign). The trail was easy to follow after the first few steps out of the parking lot. Soon enough, we were at Heather pass. The traverse was now underway. We stopped to have lunch by a nice stream just before Lewis Lake. Remember not to pee in the stream you are planning to use. Off to the traverse again. Soon we were Wing Lake to setup camp. We found a few nice tent pads just off the snow by a great water source. We ran into a group that had a “friend” (goat) that followed them the entire day. He soon got sick of them and we passed to us. Jason made sure he wasn’t welcome.

We were on the road by 05:00 AM. The snow was great. We are glad for the snow all the way up to the start of the climb. People say the ridge gets better the higher you get, I agree. Mt Logan looked intense, another day. The descent down the Southwest ridge was free up high and had patches of snow in the base of the gullies but it was doable. A nice glissade from the notch was well worth it. Hike went fast on the way out. Remember to not miss the trail after Heather Pass on the way out. Click HERE to view more pictures. Thanks!

IMG_5924.JPG

We missed the obvious start...

IMG_5934.JPG

Lake Ann

IMG_5938.JPG

From Heather Pass

IMG_5960.JPG

Camp by Wing Lake

IMG_5961.JPG

Looking West from camp (Decent from SW Ridge)

IMG_5978.JPG

Jason and the "pet" Goat

IMG_5990.JPG

Sunrise

IMG_5998.JPG

Gaining the ridge

IMG_6003.JPG

Gaining the ridge to the base of the NE Ridge

IMG_6032.JPG

Jason Leading

IMG_6029.JPG

Looking back at our approach from the NE Ridge

IMG_6042.JPG

More NE Ridge

IMG_6044.JPG

and more...

IMG_6057.JPG

Summit!

IMG_6065.JPG

Southwest Ridge

Gear Notes:

A few cams (.5, .75, 1, #4 link cam), half set of nuts.

4 single and 8 double slings

Crampons

ball-pow

Approach Notes:

The parking lot is still full of snow... During our parking lot route finding adventure, we helped push some "hikers" out.

Edited by mitch334

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to climb Black Peak this weekend with a few friends. I notice that you show a NINE HOUR APPROACH to Wing Lake, and a THREE HOUR return from Wing Lake to the trailhead.

Can you add some information about the approach? A couple years ago, without snow it it took only about 4 hours for the (4mi) approach.

I'm planning to climb Black Peak this weekend with a few friends. I notice that you show a NINE HOUR APPROACH to Wing Lake, and a THREE HOUR return from Wing Lake to the trailhead.

Can you add some information about the approach? A couple years ago, without snow it it took only about 4 hours for the (4mi) approach.

It took us around 3+ hours with a full pack a few years ago - and that was with no snow (so, boulder-hopping tedium until Lewis Lake)