Goat Rocks Wilderness-Ives Peak/Old snowy

devan

I was wanting to go into the Goat Rock wilderness on Sunday and spend the night and bag some peaks.

Anyone been up through the Goat Rocks Wilderness in the last week or so. I am assuming that there is quite a bit of snow. Anyone know if the snowgrass trail is still all covered in snow?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go in from the North Fork of the Tieton .. you'll have no problem getting to the trail-head at the end of the road.

Two years ago the trail up to Tieton Pass got nailed with a ton of windfall .. pain in the ass packing skis. It should be cleared by now.

Route finding along the Crest Trail south of Tieton Pass may be a little tricky with the heavy snow pack, particularity if you come back out the same way.

I'd suggest camping in McCall Basin ... usually a good source of firewood and pretty much the last decent spot below tree-line. Access Old Snowy and Ives via Avalanche Valley to the south of the Basin.

Go light and 1 night out should do it .. most people do it in two.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pull up the topo for that route as I am not all all familiar with going that way to reach Goat lake and Old Snowy.

I am debating if I should bring my splitboard or just boot it in or snowshoes. Looks like sun in the forecast for Sun-Mon. Ill post some info. on the trip if we end up going. Thanks again.