New guy here

boofthepooch

Greetings, Cascade Climbers! New guy here, reporting in. Haven't climbed since I was a kid and am getting back into it because, well, it's a lot of fun! It also gives me something else to do when camping beside fish and drink.

Headed to Smith Rock on the 22nd with a small group of my room mate's friends for my first real outdoor climb in about 10 years. I've been practicing here in Salem at the Kroc center (where my room mate works) and we even hit a retaining wall the other day for a couple hours.

I just bought some new gear, as my old harness hadn't fit me since I was 13 so it went the way of Craigslist several years ago after being dredged up from the bowels of my storage unit. I picked up a Black Diamond momentum harness, as it got consistently good reviews and was on sale. From what I've read, it should treat me well as a good first (for all intents and purposes) harness. I need advice on shoes, however. I have wide feet (10 1/2-11 wide) for being only 5'7", so I have the feeling climbing shoes are going to be a bit of a challenge. I hear REI is having a sale this weekend though, so I think I'll go in and try a bunch on; see if I can find some that feel good. What should I be looking/feeling for in a good climbing shoe?

Anybody have any tips or things that a green climber should be mindful of?

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the rock.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need advice on shoes, however. I have wide feet (10 1/2-11 wide) for being only 5'7", so I have the feeling climbing shoes are going to be a bit of a challenge.

If your feet are as wide as mine then no climbing shoe is going to fit you really well. Best I've found is Mad Rock Phoenix which I can somehow manage to lace up tight around my paddles without crimping my toes painfully.

It's really frustrating having wide feet. I am a size 8 EEEEEE There is no profit in mass producing wide shoes for a small market.

My solution: Go to rei, ask the clerk which rock shoe comes in a size 14 (longer shoes are wider). Buy the shoe, cut the back 3 inches off and sew it back together.

I documented the process here:

http://www.websterart.com/html/wide_rock_climbing_shoe.html