Recommendation on Event (or other ) Shell

ASmith

Looking for advise and recommendations on the best Event (or other ) shell jacket. I'm not opposed to GORE as they have a great life time guarantee which I have had great experience with but I was lasso looking at Rab but..... your thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have RAB Latok Alpine.. sent one back due to weird wear/delamination issue but they said they'd only had a few out of thousands like that, so, I'm guessing it was me, not them. They sent a new one out (tomato red.. not my fav) for free none the less--solid customer support.

It is burly enough, solid jacket, arms a bit long which I like, wire brim great. Though maybe it is because I am derived from swamp foot DNA or something, no fabric will replace pitzips, and the the Latok Alpine is sans pzips.

Take a gander at Montane and Westcomb. Montane has some nice getups for sure. Westcomb as the specter or something, comes in a little under a pound. Whats your criteria for best? burliest, lightest, most breathable, etc...you can only pick two. :P

no pit zips. Only on Latok, which is heavier version of coat with more pockets. Can survive without the pzips but they would be nice.

Montane has a handful of jackets with 3 layer event that come in around 13-15. What size are you--medium or small you may be able to hit 12, but you're talking a lightweight shell then I think. No pzips for sure at that weight.

Take a look at Integral Designs Thru Hiker jacket--not sure they make it anymore but you can still buy it. Hard to beat that weight and it is cut a bit long which I think is good for climbing in a shell.

Would like under 16oz, 12 would be better and I too like pit zips as I generate a lot of heat.
Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker weighs less than 12 oz. There are no pit zips - eVent is supposed to breathe so well that there is apparently no need for pit zips. This is my shell currently, and I like it.

Curiously, I could not find any jackets listed on the main ID web page.

if you're willing to wait a month or so, the new Mountain Hardwear DryQ jackets have been getting pretty good reviews, and DryQ = eVent so you know the performance you'll be getting.

Or wait until fall/winter when the NeoShell starts trickling onto the market...

I have both the Rab Momentum (like the Latok Alpine but 11ish ounces) and the Alpha LT. I traded up from the Latok Alpine to the Momentum for the weight savings. Both jackets have been great and have never missed the pit zips. I don't need both jackets so if you're interested in either one I would consider selling one. Both are in great shape, just picked up the Momentum recently and have been storing the Alpha LT in the closet. Send a PM if you want to come check them out (assuming that you're in the Quah and not FL).

I have the Event thru hiker, good jacket take it Kayaking/boating all the time. Like every rain jacket that "breathes" it is nearly useless for anything other than VERY cold weather as you will sweat it out and anything under it VERY quickly unless you are moving the speed of a snail, or are one of a VERY few folks who produce NO heat and no sweat.

That is why I take and use a wind shell. If its raining you aren't climbing as its miserable and frankly stupid and unsafe. You are sitting in camp or retreating. If retreating through brush I put the Event bugger on, if I have it, and unzip the front. Keeps me "dry". Otherwise use in blowing snow, but even then a windshirt is preferable not to mention lighter and cheaper.

Wind shirts come treated as well. While not being "waterproof", they are highly water resistant. You will have to reapply said DWR occasionally more often than on an EVENT or GORE shell I have found.

I don't think I would shell out $400 for a shell jacket, but last year I won an OR Mentor Gore-Tex Pro Shell jacket. I just got back form two weeks in the Rockies where I wore it a lot in warm rainy conditions, both hiking and mountain biking. It worked superbly! Despite riding in 60-65deg rain, I never had any wetness on the inside. The Mentor has full side zips, so you can open the pit zips, or open all the way like a poncho. It has also done very well in N. Cascade weather. Weighs 14oz. Really nice piece of gear!

I'm a big Westcomb fan. Personally, I would wait for the new Neoshell line they are unveiling this fall / winter. I have a Westcomb Chimera eVent / PrimaLoft jacket and am very happy with Westcomb's customer service and quality. All their gear is manufactured in Canada and has a superb reputation in the peaks. Good luck!