Boise Area Climbing

minx

Besides city of rocks (been there, will go again) and elephant's perch (looking forward to antoher go) i'm interested in recommendation for local crags and fun moderate alpine climbs, books, other area climbing resources. thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get the boise climbing guide from idaho mountain touring or the benchmark. considering drive times are under 15 minutes from down town and approach times are about 5 minutes, boise has some fantastic climbing, and i honestly believe the moderate climbing in the black canyon is some of the best basalt climbing out there.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/CMP/KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/505094/N/0

slick rock

hell's canyon

leslie gulch

lightning dome

pins and needles

riggins limestone

besides riggins various quality PDFs

east side

palisades

finns

etc. SEIclimbing and also a great guidebook

Slick Rock and Lightning Dome are fun but probably aren't great day climbing spots. Driving on 95 always takes longer than you think it should.

Slick Rock is closer to Boise. Lightning Dome is on the south fork of the Clearwater. It's a great spot. Make sure to stop by the store upriver from Lightning Dome. It's worth a visit :grlaf:

Various within striking distance of boise:

Hells Canyon, take the route through Cambridge, Burnt River lime stone, Spring Mt. Oregon is within striking distance of Boise for a good weekend of shorter trad and sport, Slick Rock regular route is very fun, long and casual, Finger of Fate is pretty fun.

i enjoyed a couple days with sobo up by clearwater. he wouldn't stop at the store....
You slanderous whelp, you! :)

The beer at that store is swill. Now that Granny is dead and they hauled the pool table out of the living room, the only reason to stop there is to replenish the ice in the Igloo...

Lightning Dome is on the south fork of the Clearwater. It's a great spot. Make sure to stop by the store updownriver from Lightning Dome. It's worth a visit :grlaf:
Fixt it for ya... :)

I could have sworn it was up river, but my memories from the 80s are sketchy sometimes. :laf:

Lightning Dome is on the south fork of the Clearwater. It's a great spot. Make sure to stop by the store updownriver from Lightning Dome. It's worth a visit :grlaf:
Fixt it for ya... :)

I could have sworn it was up river, but my memories from the 80s are sketchy sometimes. :laf:

Elk City is upriver from LD, but that's a whoooooooooole 'nother discussion... :banjos playing: