Mt. Adams this weekend - Crampons?

RobCleminson

Hi,

I'm planning on climbing the south side of Mt Adams this weekend with my son. We have everything except crampons sorted and had hoped to rent these. Unfortunately the REI rentals wont fit our boots as we just have standard stiff soled boots(which I've used on glaciers in the Alps before with strap-on crampons)http://www.hiking-site.nl/indekijker_raichleblizzardgtx.php

I'd like to take crampons for safety but are they necessary for this route and if so does anyone know anywhere in Portland that would rent strap-on type and not clip-on type like the REI ones?

last resort is to rent boots/crampons together but I'd prefer to use my own comfortable boots.

thanks for any advice

Rob

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would bring crampons. The slopes can get steep enough where you will need them. There was a guy who died last year on the south side route. When I believe he slid in to some rocks on a fall. Try the mountain shop on sandy.

Edited by chris54

Hi,

looks like we are all set for our start tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me what time I can reasonably expect to be able to Glisade. I dont want to get up too early from Lunch Counter and find I'm at the top and not able to glisade coz its too hard!! I am assuming around 3-4hrs from lunch counter to the top at a steady pace?

Thanks

Rob

We did Adams in a day last Saturday on splitboards. We left Lunch Counter at 11am after a 30 minute rest. Got to the false summit at 1pm and the true summit at 2. I was probably the slowest one on the slope and was slipping a lot on my skins in the afternoon slush. Considering you will be acclimated to the altitude, with fresh legs, and ideal snow conditions, you should have a pretty quick ascent from Lunch Counter. The snow should be good to glissade by 10 or so but you can always wait it out at the false summit (either on the way up or down.) Good luck to you guys!

One last post before tomorrow about clothing. This is my first trip up Adams so I'm not too sure about conditions. The weather looks nice this weekend and I plan on wearing/taking the following.

1. Base layers top and bottom

2. Micro Fleece top(TNF100)

3. MH SoftShell(WindProof)

4. Columbia light jacket(waterproof/breathable)

5. Standard lightwight hiking trousers with gaiters.

6. Wool plus Rimmed hats plus ski gloves

Can anyone tell me if I'm good with this clothing list?

thanks

Rob

Hey Rob, just FYI, a lot of your questions could be answered by doing a little research, such as going to the Mt. Adams page on SummitPost.org (link below)- there's route descriptions, suggested gear, trip reports, photos, maps, permit locations, etc. Basically most of your questions could be answered on the home page! I love cc.com but this isn't the best venue for route descriptions...great for trip reports and current conditions though.

Those clothes will be fine, as long as the weather is nice. Remember, even on bluebird days it tends to be freezing ass at 12,000 feet! I always bring whatever I'm hiking/climbing with, AND a puffy jacket to put on up top. Otherwise you might stay less time than you'd like! There's also (usually) a good wall by the old cabin up top to get out of the wind, provided it is blowing from the west. The National Weather Service issues Winds Aloft forecasts, so you can get an idea what the temp is forecast to be at that elevation.

Finally, here are some resources I think you should check out!

Mt. Adams on Summitpost.org (Again, great overall mountaineering resource but not good for current conditions (recent personal reports, not weather)

Skimountaineer.com

A great site for finding great slopes, and Amar's rating system for difficulty utilizes standard skiing icons (green blue black diamond)

Turns-All-Year Basically all trip reports! A good place to search for trip reports from the time of year you are going!

Have fun and good luck!! And bring a gallon of sunscreen!!!

Thanks everyone for advice.

We had a great weekend and learned a lot, especially how unfit I really was!!

We made it to Lunch Counter on day 1 and then to Pikers Peak on Day 2. A combination of a late start(9am) and my condition at the false summit turned us around at 1:30pm to return to our camp. We'll be back again a little fitter next time!!

Thanks again

Rob