• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
cborigo16

Early summer jacket recommendations?

Hoping to make my way out to Rainier early next summer (May probably), and looking for some input on insulated jackets. I have a lightweight OR Fraction jacket ( OR Fraction Hoody )

, a MH Sub Zero Parka, and a MH sub zero vest. I am usually fine with the ultralight OR primaloft jacket down to the teens, but from what I've seen, something a little more substantial may be in order. However, the sub zero seems like overkill. Any thoughts? Maybe combining the vest and OR jacket? I'd rather not buy another jacket if I don't need to, but if anyone has high recommendations for a mid-weight insulated down/synthetic, it may be worth it.

I think any of the 100g, Primaloft One insulated, hooded parkas would be fine. I personally use a Patatonia Micropuff from April through September. Maybe take a high lofting fleece to go underneath in case it is cold.

Consider four thrift-store sweaters of varying thickness (carefully sized), a large cotton (or similar) golfing jacket (for wind), plus (just in case) some sort of non-plastic poncho secured by string or perhaps a belt.

You'll probably be fine.

I heading to rainier tomorrow and in the same dilema. The guy I'm going with I'm letting borrow my perfect mid weight down hooded parka.

I have two options now: my Denaliesqe Monster down TNF boltoro parka or a light wieght redpoint optimus hooded primaloft jacket.

I am leaning more towards the primaloft jacket due to weight as the monster puffy is almost 3lbs but I could sleep in it lol