Bindings for approach skis & mountain boots??

Woodcutter

Can anyone point me in the right direction.......

I need to know what bindings work on alpine or mountaineering boots for approach skiing on full length backcountry skis?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Edited by Woodcutter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really great website, thanks everyone for the input.

Dane, appreciate the offer but right now I'm not ready to buy anything, just checking out what exists and how well it works.

Seems that the boots one is wearing dictate the ski-ability of the setup.

Watched a friend carry his alpine boots dangling off his pack nearly 15 miles a few weeks ago while we skiied into the Cirque of the Towers. Seems there should be an easier way.

Thanks again for the info.

Jake

FWIW Silvretta 500s have a nicer release mechanism in the event of falls. The 404s were solid bindings - but many a climber has blown out a knee while flailing downhill with a heavy pack and sled in mountain boots. The 500s might be a couple hundred bucks more expensive but they're cheaper than a new meniscus.

FWIW Silvretta 500s have a nicer release mechanism in the event of falls. The 404s were solid bindings - but many a climber has blown out a knee while flailing downhill with a heavy pack and sled in mountain boots. The 500s might be a couple hundred bucks more expensive but they're cheaper than a new meniscus.

+1

Not a sales pitch, just my thoughts on skiing in most of them. I think the 404 is a decent binding for the price/weight between that and a 500s.

Matt, the TLT's have made the 404s redundant. Pulled then and used Dynafits last weekend for 10K down and a 20 mile tour.

Heavy packs, sleds and climbing boots? You kidding me? Knees and ankles are toast if anything goes wrong in any of the "modern" Silvrettas or modern touring/dh bindings for that matter.

Dynafit fan myself. But they won't save your knees or legs either when you throw a sled and a heavy pack into the mix.

FWIW I think the growing consensus is the Dynafit TLT boots and dynafit bindings ski, walk and climb better than anything previously. Eliminating the need to carry extra boots a bigger percentage of the time.

There will also be some new boots shortly that address skiing and climbing even better on the climbing side of it, than it is being done right now...but they won't be cheap.

my 2 cents..ski width really depends on the boots and the power they will put down for you. Climbing boots? Go short and skinny. Better boots = fatter skis, may be longer skis that are easier to ski in bad conditions.

Worst thing you can do is mis-match ski, boots and bindings.

BTDT..expensive mistake and worse yet took the fun out of skiing.

How wide the ski also determines the use to some extent. But if your boots aren't up to the task..your intended use...you'll still be bummed.