Eiger Sanction Quiz II

pope

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot, pope, for causing me to revisit some old psychic trauma! A few years ago I suffered some genuine anguish when I tried to reconcile the fact that the great actor and stud who played in the Eiger Sanction, Bronco Billy and Honkeytonk Man, was deeply involved in that pathetic chick-flick, Bridges of Madison County. "What was he thinking?!", I asked over and over and over again. That movie has ruined many a marriage and a climbing career. The grass is always greener with some other dude.....so they think!

Give the credit to Charlie because I think that was the answer you were looking for. I just knew that Clint actually went up onto the mountain and that is impressive to me. The guys no phony! You could say the only real training you can do for the Eiger Mord-wand is to get on it! Either that or go do a big ice climb with sections of loose rock while someone consantly dumbs buckets of rocks down on your head or squirts you with a fire hose!

I think Eastwood probably feels trapped by his gun-slingin' image; how else do you account for some of the sensitive, artsy, jazz-listenin', woman-respectin' characters he's played most recently? I recall a certain Ellensburg climber who felt trapped by his image, back when C. Griffith and Ben Moon were auctioning their dreads and donating proceeds to the access fund. He had some kind of special thing he was willing to donate to the auction, but I don't remember the details. Seems Big-Wall Erika and Donna Top-Step announced this inspirational gesture in a letter to a periodical.

Anyway, "pope" is the correct answer to question six, and we should be approaching some more difficult questions shortly.

Question 7. Hemlock is to join an international team of climbers for an ascent of the Eiger. How old is the oldest member of this team?

George. She is Ben's little girl. She's the reason Ben Bowman got involved with the other side: Miles Mellough helped her get off drugs! But yes, she certainly adds something(s) to the film! Check out the Brenda Venus website if you get a chance.

Pencil Boy,

As a big biker dude once said to me, when I declined his woman's invitation to play billiards, "Pussies don't play." May I suggest you watch the movie. Then you'll understand the mania behind this quiz...if you're smart enough to follow the plot and snappy dialogue. Until then, SHUT UP!

Oh, and uh, Q#7 is still open. The questions will be challenging from here out, but here's a hint: there is a point in the film where Montaigne announces he will be the oldest man to have climbed the Eiger, and he reveals his age.

"French onion soup, crab-meat cocktail, and a Wild Turkey on the rocks."

Pope, here's one for you: A) Who are the "Eiger-birds" in the movie, and how does Big Ben Bowman verbally react to two of their inquires? B) Who does he mistake for an "Eiger-bird?"

[This message has been edited by Hemlock (edited 08-29-2001).]

Excellent. We are, however, missing one item. Hey Pencil Pimper, or Pimple Popper, or whatever you call yourself: now's the time to jump in and swoop these guys. You could be the proud owner of a genuine Big Lou travel mug!

Question 9. "Dirty, evil, scheming, devious, bitch!" Who said these words, and under what circumstances?

Almost forgot. A pair of tourists, a married couple, ask Ben if they might have a look through his scope. He neither rejects nore accomodates their request, but offers no response. The wife encourages her husband to offer money. Disgusted, Ben finally warns that if either of the two "vampires" so much as touch the scope, they will need a surgeon to remove it from their turd gutters.

A journalist asks Ben to comment on what motivates moutain climbers...is it compensation for inferiority feelings, or is it an attempt to prove manhood? Ben responds by suggesting that she would benefit from a good rogering.

Eiger Birds are jet-setters and assorted zombies who fly in every time they get wind of a big climb. If they get lucky, they get to see a man die.

Ben Bowman initially mistakes Ms. Brown (the CII courier) for an Eiger Bird.

[This message has been edited by pope (edited 08-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pope (edited 08-29-2001).]

answer:Clint Eastwood says it- in response to her opening her shirt, displaying her voluptious breasts. Hemlock- I see you made it back from your adventerous weekend with jamaima brown. I think the name is "pencil penis"

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 08-29-2001).]

WINNER-WINNER-WINNER-WINNER-WINNER! Charlie's in the lead with four correct answers, having answered questions one, three, four and nine. Several of you have answered two questions correctly, but with only one question remaining, Charlie wins.

Here's a tenth question anyway. When Jonathan hurls Kruegger out of an office window, he lands on a sidewalk table several stories below, where a German diner asks, "Was ist passiert?" Translate.