Eiger Sanction Quiz II

pope

Anybody can play, although the last round demonstrated that many of you are familiar with this masterpiece. There will be ten questions, and I will post them when I get the opportunity, not according to any schedule. I'm really excited about the prize this round: an authentic, insulated, Whittaker Bunk Haus travel mug!

The first questions will be easy, but after that it will be difficult to answer without studying the book or renting the movie.

Question 1: In a fight, outside the train station in Kleine Scheideg, Hemlock steps on Clement Pope's hand as Pope reaches for an iron bar. We hear the crunching of fingers, followed by Pope's groaning. Then Hemlock ensures Pope that he'll be OK, although a particular activity may be temporarily difficult for Pope, given the condition of his hand. What activity?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let me pop my Eiger Sanction CD into my computers DVD rom player, uh hold on a sec... Okay here you go:

"It's in the hotel, it's a C2 special with no serial number, it's in the candy box"

Gotta love DVD's they make searches so easy, with chapters and 30x FF!

So do you just want to give me the prize now?!

hehe

Good guess, but wrong. Say, Wopper, you're not the same guy posting as Hemlock, are you? Anyway, here's a hint: this climbing school is located in such a place that one could climb rock, ride horses and get married, all within walking distance.

Gee wiz, Dane, that certainly is efficient. Third question: In persuading Jonathan to accept the first sanction, Dragon manipulates Hemlock by threatening to reveal the details behind how he obtained a special collection. What is Jonathan collecting, and how many does he have?

I have no information that says Clint trained on the Eiger, although they certainly filmed on the Eiger and I'm sure he learned how to strap on his crampons there.

Last hint: Clint attended mountain school in the U.S., in a location where you might see A WHOLE BUNCH OF CALIFORNIA GRANITE! Does this help?

RMI? With Big Lou? If this isn't correct, then that's where He ought to have gone...

"My guides are qualified to guide on any route on Mt. Rainier or any damn hill anywhere on the planet." - Big Lou

[This message has been edited by Hemlock (edited 08-25-2001).]

According to some production notes I have, Clint trained on the Lost Arrow in Yosemite. Charlie, congratulations on this question, but more importantly on your successful ascent of the "Village Whiner" at the Town Wall. Did you go with Hemlock?

David, if you know details of any training that took place on the Eiger, or if you just think this was a shitty question, I'd be happy to give both you and Charlie credit for a correct answer. Let me know what you think is fair.

Hemlock, you're damn right. Clint should have learned his knots from the Whittaker Guides...maybe he wouldn't keep getting his corduroy-knickered butt kicked by the Eiger.

Question 5. Which character is responsible for the following quote:

I'd rather be screwin' Montaigne's wife. Wait 'til you catch her act. She's a regular man-trap. Built like a brick shit house. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who's got to keep his eyes on her.

DAVID, you're a real sport, agreeing to give the question to Charlie. Clint did do all of his own stunts for this flick, and I agree with your logic: he probably learned more shooting pictures on that nasty "mordwand" than he did pussing around on clean Yosemite granite. Therefore, I'm convinced that you should get credit for your answer. BTW, if Clint is your manly celluloid hero, don't let your gal drag you out to see the Bridges of Madison County. It'll make you puke. Also, if you're looking to simulate Eiger conditions, I know a guy at the UW rock who will throw rubber playground balls (all the while yelling "Rock!" and "Incoming death asteroid!") while you work laps on the hand cracks!

CHRISS, "CII" is popularly mistaken to be the initials standing for Central Intelligence Institute. It is actually the Roman-numeric representation of the number 102, which counts the espionage/intelligence agencies and divisions that form this massive, blundering operation. Chris, that is an excellent question for more advanced players, and as we approach the final questions in our quiz, your familiarity with Trevanian's masterpiece will serve you well.

Question 6. This character, according to Trevanian, loved playing peekaboo. At critical points throughout the film, one may observe him spraying breath freshener, inhaling sinus spray, or reading Playpen Magazine. He is "the man outside" who sends Clint a message at the hotel in Kleine Scheidegg. Who is he?