[TR] Mount Rainier - Paradise - Fuhrer Finger Approach 7/2/2011

mr.radon

Trip: Mount Rainier - Paradise - Fuhrer Finger Approach

Date: 7/2/2011

Trip Report:

Me and two friends scoped out the Fuhrer Finger route with my telescope. Will be doing the route this Friday. Watched a lone skier (on his back) ascending the upper part of the finger. We stowed the telescope and headed up. I was amazed how much snow was still up there. We were able to skin in from the long term parking lot. We left Seattle at 7AM, so we were not that early.

We managed to skin across the Nisqually lower then normal. Not many crevasses yet. Saw the rock fall, impressive how far it came.

We passed a party of (6) hiking up to climb the Kautz and a party of two on A/T gear passed us to also head up to the Kautz.

Also watched two skier's descend the route.

IMGP2797.jpg

Also, two parties of three descended the route. After a beer

IMGP2798.jpg

we all skied back to the car. The snow was soft down low. Great skiing though, need to wax again. As we were hiking out of the Nisqually basin another small land slide came off and crashed down the upper Nisqually. So cool.

Lots of people hiked to Muir that day, must have been a couple hundred on that trail OMG!

IMGP2627.jpg

Also, I was checking out the party of six, they made camp at Camp hazard, as I was watching a large block of ice broke off and crashed passed the campers, several stepped back, teh view was awesome in the telescope.

Just before we left they had another small slide on the Nisqually.

IMGP2973.jpg

Cutting turns back down:

IMGP2677.jpg

Afterward I pulled the scope out again and saw three climbers on the Success Cleaver route. Snapped a quick picture.

IMG_1629.jpg

Gear Notes:

A/T gear no rope.

Approach Notes:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1194431

Edited by mr.radon

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Muir with my daughter on Saturday. Fuhrer Finger route still looks good--as does the Kautz. The Nisqually crossing is all neve w/o crevasses and the Fan is still 100% snow. Here's a picture of the south side a/o Saturday, 7/02. Also one of the big slide...

DSCN0424_2.jpg

DSCN0425_3.jpg

238.jpg