Black Diamond Spot Headlamp

sprocket

REI has these on sale/closeout for $30.

Wondering what anyone thinks of these.

Are they adequate for glacier climbs?

Looking for a few pieces of gear right now and am on a budget. I have an old PT Aurora which is less than great IMO and a heavy Petzl Arctic which is super bright but requires a heavy flat Lithium battery.

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LED headlights are becoming a cheap commodity product.

Black Diamond's policy on repairing headlights is "F*ck You!!!" which illustrates my point, analogous to my notion that the Wenzel puptent is reasonable and desirable deal.

You can't even PAY Black Diamond to fix their own G*d d*mned headlamps.

Lesson here: DO buy your BD (& other) lamps from REI. If you want, REI at least, will cover it. If you buy from usual nickle-&-dime boutique, you will be out of luck.

PrincetonTec seems to have had BEST designs by far over time..(dunno bout their service nor current models)..though BD always looked good..Petzl third on my list.

They are at least fairly close in quality. PrincetonTec is only one that that didn't acutally for me f**k up, but I used this item the least of three brands.

Actually over the years, I sort of liked an REI branded item that was fairly light, as well as something made in 1970s, for the US Forest Service with four BIG D Cell batteries.

Man that was bright and nice... Weighed way more than a pound... and god know what it cost per hour..... or what the hell I tossed into landfills over the years.

My next headlight will probably be purchased from horrible Home Depot at a giant discount from "name brands."

If it doesn't work, I will intelligently toss it in the trash, without waste of my time.

As to whether headlamp in question would work on a glacier, I'd read instructions on this, but my guess would be that yes, it will work on a glacier.

Long way coming to Wal-Mart....

"Fast & Light" backpacking tents like Wenzel, have been there, improving over long period.

Dirt Cheap LED headlamps from mass merchandize stores are now pretty good and near dirt cheap over A SHORT PERIOD.

In a couple of years the big little brands like Black Diamond etc.....and crap brands will completely converge....YOU CAN BUY THIS CRAP AT YOUR LOCAL SUPERMARKET.