rainbow gathering

kevbone

dude, you're harshing my mellow. i wasn't there, it isn't my thing. i prefer small shows at clubs over arena rock, for instance. i go outside to get away from people, not to go crap in a pit with 20 thousand strangers.

i grew up around hippies, i just don't care for that lifestyle myself. or the smell of patchouli. or a person who hasn't bathed in 3 months, even when the facilities are readily available. but if it is your thing, enjoy!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...i went to the rainbow gathering with a fucking BABY in a stroller and a bunch of extra food and water for some burnouts who didn't bring enough because i have no sense of humor....or the absurd...what do you do for fun besides post on cc.com?

PS, Crimper.

The Yosemite trad climbers of the 60's and 70's were individualists with a vision. Most of them turned that into a career. The "Rainbow Family" is a just a bunch of group-think, self-righteous assholes who found their calling by copying some of the marginal past-times of actual individualists. I'm quite sure my life is fine.

i hate arena rock. i hate crowds. that's why i didn't want to camp at the rainbow gathering with thousands of people. but i had a wife to please so i thought i'd show her what a nightmare it would have been to actually camp there with 3 kids.

then we finally got to the "kiddie camp" and it was like any campground anywhere, except way cooler with swings on trees and improvised kitchens with mud/log ovens for baking, a nice dish-washing set-up, blah blah blah.

and the latrine was WAY nicer and less stinky than the heinous pit privies you suffer through at most campgrounds, for the record. and i was the only one around when i took my 3 year old to use it. not a hippy in sight while she pooped. i was actually a bit bummed i negged the camping idea.

right E-rock, the climbers in the 60s/70s had visions alright - of not working, and of enjoying an outdoor hobby instead. how revoltionary, what individuals. that had certainly never before occured in the history of the planet. and what a legacy they left..selling climbing gear? starting clothing lines? going back to college? framing houses? guiding? REI? patagonia? climbing gyms?

you can generalize 10 to 20,000 people if you want, if it makes the world easier for you to process, but that's called a distortion.

and because i went, you think you know me? no, you know the words i'm slinging in spray.

In this statement, it seems like you are making the same generalizations, especially when you talk about the climbers legacy from the climbers from the 60s and 70s, that you're accusing people here of making.

also, you don't "know" me either, nor anyone else here. just the words we sling here.

but i'm glad you are here to defend the rainbow gathering. it adds flavor.

it's always the same when i call bullshit on a thread, tossing a turd into the water: some people soften and explain or apologize and try to find a common ground. others double-down and attack, and stick to their guns. it's a great way to figure out who really is a jerk, or who really belives what they wrote.

right E-rock, the climbers in the 60s/70s had visions alright - of not working, and of enjoying an outdoor hobby instead. how revoltionary, what individuals. that had certainly never before occured in the history of the planet. and what a legacy they left..selling climbing gear? starting clothing lines? going back to college? framing houses? guiding? REI? patagonia? climbing gyms?

you can generalize 10 to 20,000 people if you want, if it makes the world easier for you to process, but that's called a distortion.

and because i went, you think you know me? no, you know the words i'm slinging in spray.

It's too bad that you were ACTUALLY THERE, but you still can't laugh about it.

I know hippies. I saw the Dead in '95, and went to various "rainbow-esque" gatherings in Australia. I even lived in Nimbin for some time. I can't believe you can't find anything to laugh about!

Edited by rob

it's always the same when i call bullshit on a thread, tossing a turd into the water: some people soften and explain or apologize and try to find a common ground. others double-down and attack, and stick to their guns. it's a great way to figure out who really is a jerk, or who really belives what they wrote.

given a choice between the two, i'd certainly take the lasagna :)

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...i went to the rainbow gathering with a fucking BABY in a stroller and a bunch of extra food and water for some burnouts who didn't bring enough because i have no sense of humor....or the absurd...what do you do for fun besides post on cc.com?

did you hook up with this hottie? did 'it' smell?

h.PNG

Rob, i did already say there were all kinds of freaks there, and that i didn't want to camp there in part because of the freak factor - and having 3 kids to watch while there. so yeah, there was lots to laugh at. teenagers siting on buses dangling pipes on fishing wire over the road/path with signs saying "stuff me." that was funny. grown men wearing skirts and dressing like fairies. funny. professional types devoting a week or more to the event: funny.

oly - all i did was be the first person to say anything different from the other comments.

and if i'm generalizing climbers from the golden era, it's only to point out that most people on this site look up to those climbers, even though many of those climbers - were they 25 again today - would love to check out the rainbow gathering because in many respects it's really not that much different than a crowded campground of climbers.

fyi, i posted that pic because it was a pleasant example of what you may find at the Rainbow Gathering. as a gentleman, i don't share the crass thoughts of Attila here, of course.

Marie sounds like a very nice girl, and if I weren't married I would like to take her to the corner store and buy her a malt.