Kiss my Discovery Pass

Twispted

I agree outhouses are necessary, but trail maintenance can be done by volunteers. Anyone who has been to Si or Tiger know they go way overboard on trail "maintenance".

Lets tell it like it is, the discovery pass is a job's program. Which personally I don't have a problem with (to some degree), but since it is a jobs program and more jobs benefit the general public it should be funded with general taxes not another user fee to administer.

$30 isn't going to break most people's banks, but half the time, even if I have an up to date FS pass, snow park permit, or access pass I forget to put it in my window.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monthly salaries of WA State Parks & Rec employees(minus retirement and other benefits). Impressive.

http://lbloom.net/sprc09.html

you really found those numbers to be "impressive"?

rangers making 50 or 60 grand?

office administrators making 40 grand?

a custodian making 12 bucks an hour?

i guess you and your ilk (jayb etc) really are right. this is what is breaking the economies globally.

Please, don't hate your two nieces just because they're smart and come from good homes.

You're an expert, even on things you don't know anything about!

There is another poster on this board who is just like that. Can you guess who?

Edited by rob

Please, don't hate your two nieces just because they're smart and come from good homes.

You're an expert, even on things you don't know anything about!

There is another poster on this board who is just like that. Can you guess who?

I was gonna guess TTK...but I think he actually does know everything

A group of us climbed last weekend in an area where the official parking lot required the evil pass. We parked on the road across the street. Breakin the law...

Next thing you know WSDOT will require parking permits unless you can prove a mechanical breakdown or medical emergency. :noway:

I haven't read through the rules or completely understand what prompted them. Thank god there are CC EXPERTS that can make statements and yell without reading any study or knowledge of the situation. :crazy:

A group of us climbed last weekend in an area where the official parking lot required the evil pass. We parked on the road across the street. Breakin the law...

Next thing you know WSDOT will require parking permits unless you can prove a mechanical breakdown or medical emergency. :noway:

I haven't read through the rules or completely understand what prompted them. Thank god there are CC EXPERTS that can make statements and yell without reading any study or knowledge of the situation. :crazy:

You rebel! Everyone parking at Mt Si should do the same!

And how many of you voted for the income tax in WA last November? It was to be assessed only on the rich, and was a minor marginal rate tax (applied on income over a certain level, not on all income). The people in this state were suckered into voting it down. The rich already get a great deal in federal income tax. The highest marginal fed rate is now 35% (thanks republicans and bush). 50 years ago it was 90%! And if you don't work for a living and just live on investment income, you only pay 15%! That's why the richest 400 Americans pay an average rate almost identical to mine, and they make an average of $341 million per year! Real fair, huh. So don't complain if you don't vote or voted against the income tax on the rich in WA last year. This society is losing all kinds of amenities and necessities because the treasury is being starved by the rich repubicans who have figured out how to game the system (big $ contributions to the gop) and the dems are too wimpy to spell it all out and fight for what's right. Wake up, or it's just going to get worse.

Funny but it's the rich WA Democrat fat-cats who are voting themselves and their staffs tax-payer funded college educations at the expense of running necessary services like the State Parks system.

A good point. The Dems also bear some responsibility, but it's the repubs who are trying to do the impossible in a very intransigent way--balance the budget purely starve the government agenda. We need to look at the revenue side at least as much as the spending side. There's no other way.

Yesterday I swapped plates at the Little Si trailhead and got a ticket. Ticket is now in the trash. Had a slight smirk on my face as I drove off seeing all the lemmings with valid passes.

Wait, isn't hiking a healthy activity the govmnt wants to promote?

Just get rid of the trash cans and toilets. Make trailheads free to use again. No reason to keep these features at trailheads anyway. There is a anti-litering law on the books, carry blue bags or wild cat it. Its not like with our climate the stuff stays around very long, and I'm sure a dog a few minutes behind will find the secret treat tasty.

Why didn't you guys just change your plates, block your VIN and file the serial number off your engine block? :rolleyes:

Ya know Rob folks have been trying to pull that kind of stuff for years. That's why the VIN number is in about 20 spots on your vehicle. You'r only going to invite towing and compounding in a lot for further study. :grlaf:

So I found the following language in the law about the discover pass:

"Each agency, where applicable, must designate short term parking not to exceed thirty minutes where the discover pass or day-use permit are not required at recreation sites or lands."

Does anyone know where the temporary parking is at Exit 38? If there is none how can they enforce this without proving that you were not at your car for more than 30 min?

Edited by RaisedByPikas

Why didn't you guys just change your plates, block your VIN and file the serial number off your engine block? :rolleyes:

Ya know Rob folks have been trying to pull that kind of stuff for years. That's why the VIN number is in about 20 spots on your vehicle. You'r only going to invite towing and compounding in a lot for further study. :grlaf:

The only VIN number easy to see from the LEO prespective is the one on the dash. The Park Service/National Forest meter maids write paper tickets, they don't check plate numbers to VIN's anyhow. Plus a peice of paper placed on the dash takes care of that.

So far in over 7 years of swapping plates to avoid NW Forest Pass obligations this has worked. If WA state can turn a blind eye to illegals getting DL's, they can turn a blind eye to NW Forest Pass and Discovery Pass violators. Not to mention how does a tourist feel when he wants to go hike and he can't because he has to go to some local hardware store for a pass, there is no way for the unsuspecting tourist to pay on the spot. But that is minor to the rest of us getting ripped off.

The first 6 tickets I received I ignored. I ignored the repeate letters saying I had to appear in some court somewhere. I never had a collector sent after me was never sent a letter telling me how the case came out. I think they just throw these in the trash too if you don't pay, but that was many years ago. After those first tickets I acquired some used plates off a junk car not registered to me. Will continue to use it till I get towed.

Amazing, only LEFT coast governments have decided to go down this fee path. But then again there has never been a tax/fee a Liberal politician couldn't support.

Not to mention how does a tourist feel when he wants to go hike and he can't because he has to go to some local hardware store for a pass, there is no way for the unsuspecting tourist to pay on the spot.

Way to stick it to the man/the tool/pine fuzz, etc.

Was out at the Far Side parking lot at x38 on Monday, and they had a drop box with envelopes for the $10/day fee. Haven't been anywhere else where it's required, but in at least one spot, you could do fine.

Anyone know if that guy in the chi-mo van parked near the USFS road turn off needs a pass? Does he have some sign taped to his forehead?

Yesterday I swapped plates at the Little Si trailhead and got a ticket. Ticket is now in the trash. Had a slight smirk on my face as I drove off seeing all the lemmings with valid passes.

Just get rid of the trash cans and toilets. Make trailheads free to use again. No reason to keep these features at trailheads anyway. There is a anti-litering law on the books, carry blue bags or wild cat it. Its not like with our climate the stuff stays around very long, and I'm sure a dog a few minutes behind will find the secret treat tasty.

I wonder about the person who previously owned the plates you're using. Wouldn't the authorities be chasing them now? Wasting resources that could be otherwise spent?

If so, would you care?

I wonder about the person who previously owned the plates you're using. Wouldn't the authorities be chasing them now? Wasting resources that could be otherwise spent?

If so, would you care?

Don't care, don't loose sleep over it.

Figuring I go to that parking lot twice a month they may get familiar with my car. I'll have to mix it up some.

At least up in Squamish you can pay at a machine. You don't have to drive around an unfamiliar town looking for a place that sells passes. But I still wouldn't pay.