Shuksan N. face?

sverdina

why is it a better route? cause the access to the chimnies are spraypainted? that's bull shit... that's enough reason for me not to like the route... the north face is sweet sustained and has nice exposure... fisher is just a scramble for a couple o' minutes and then some moderate snow before you beginthe rest of the slog.... if you cn get to the face....its the way to go...IMHO

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo hommies,

seems I'm waiting a few more days for the fun of T.N.F.

I'm sure this week of new growth in them ancient clearcuts may increase the efforts, although I must agree the approach through the forest and traversing the ridge below the clifs is not the problem. Stompin through them so called clearcuts are a joke until winter.

Anyone try ascending Shuksan Arm, descend the White Salmon glacier crossing basin below Hanging glacier and then up the last snow field to the saddle.?

A nice cool day and some K G B

[smile] and an ice cold bottle of stolli and Kool-Aid

I've heard there is a non-technical crossing over Shuksan Arm, but having been on both sides of it now, I couldn't tell you where, and if you got it wrong you'd waste more time and elevation than if you just bushwacked from White Salmon Lodge. There's a set of cliffs just NW of the White Salmon that is reminiscent of the Dolomites: scenic, but no simple descent.

I don't agree that the NF approach is the worst bushwack in the state-- although it's the only bushwack I've done that also involved a rappel between two waterfalls. The worst I've experienced was Baekos Creek, just South of Boulder Basin on Glacier Peak, which I did because I thought it would be "safer" to solo a bushwack up a non-glaciated valley than to solo the Sitkum in August in perfect conditions. What a joke. All that would have had to happen was for me to get a big scratch across the eyeball from the 500th alder branch to whip me across the face. I would have been incapacitated and no one would have found me for a week.

[ 08-04-2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Norman Clyde ]

Red Monk and Mountain Man:

Juan here, from home. Not sure what to say guys, and I'm not trying to be smug. Colin, Dan and I took 3.5 hours to reach the bivi at the base of the N. Face from the White Salmon Lodge last July 20 or 21st as I recall. I'm surprised the area has grown so bushy since then. And as for what I compare it to, I guess I would say things like the Goodell Creek approach to the S. Pickets in 1987, and N.E. Butt of J'Berg in 1999, to name two. Everyone has there definition of bad bushwhacking. I think maybe Dan and Colin and I just found the path of least resistance, though we certainly didn't overthink the matter. I recall some slide alder at the valley bottom, but then it was easy going back uphill. Maybe take a small saw this year. Sounds like things have changed quite dramatically. Good luck.

John Sharp

Hiked in to Lake Ann on Saturday. Lake Frozen still. Camping spots. High clouds on Saturday.. Clouds cleared about 6:30.. About 9:30 hell begins. Clouds come up the valley. We went to sleep at 10. well tried.. CLouds cleared through out the night. SOmetime during the morning I hear the rain start and dosent stop for awhile. We pack up and leave. So thats all.. I guess it was expected. oh well next weekend.

Dan,

I have to say I did the chimneys to the top (almost) of winnies slide. Pretty cool route, I'm heading up again soon, the scrambing freaked me out the first time, but isn't a problem now.

winnie's slide is pretty steep, and there is only a faint paint mark on the rocks near the entrance for the chimneys.

Redmonk: Maybe you should climb the route before you bag it. IMHO.

sean

how about you suck it GaperWA... at least i didn't puss out on 35 degree snow....dont lie i got the video to prove it....and i didn't dog the F. C. i was just saying that if i had to do one i would do N.F. (sans bushwack in August). [rockband] i'd like you to try the N.F. right now...(this summer) and then try and talk shit bra...

Redmonk,

I think the the Fisher Chimneys is a better route because it is more varied than the NF. The snow on the NF was less steep and easier than the ice on Winnie's slide and then gainig the upper Curtis when I did it one September. Have you done F.C? The reason I ask is that most people who do F.C speak favorably about it.

ya....dare ya to just get to the base of TNF ...dare ya [big Grin] you would't make it 12 yards

in fact... 009 wants another shot at it after we had to bail... give him a call...i'll let you take my spot.... [Wink]

[rockband]

[ 08-06-2002, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: RedMonk ]

dan, i think the crying about the approach could possibly be a result of tyhis being the only bushwacking that some of the people have ever done. but then again maybe not!!

i am with you we found the approach not to be too bad. granted we did it in june, so i guess we got it easy. as far as route quality goes. fun route though slightly boring. i have not done the fischer chimmneys, but all the hype has got me. if i figure right, it does sound like the cherry route, unless i get the cajones for the price. then again maybe i will save that one for when i am older and need the excitement.

ummm,

then why are you complaining then?? if you knew it was easy then and used some sort of logic about brush though old clear cuts, i cannot see how you are even allowed to complain. also thats part of climbing deal with it. if you do not like th brush, the cross country hiking in the sierra is quite pleasent.