Shuksan N. face?

sverdina

The bushwhack was thick at least last wed.

slept in the bushes that night after two solid hours hiking at dusk and then at 1 am began another hour and a half, that was following selec.vol.1 description. It is when we left the forest that was the problem.

Leather gloves would have been nice!

We tried heading toward the arm on the way back which was slightly better, though being the growing season as we speak it's only getting thicker.We finished out above chair two I believe?

I'll be back there sometime between Sat.- Wed.

Anyone interested? [smile][big Drink]

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am with dps on this one....nice climb....slightly overrated......but still nice!

we did this bastard bar to bar in quite a good time.....

you can easily avoid the brush if you plan your route from the road......but who knows everyone interpetation of what is gnarly is different!!!

Dan is right. A mild approach compared to others. Walk the road from the White Salmon Lodge to the end, then cross to the edge of the clear cut, get in the forest just a bit, then roll yourself straight down hill. Cross the creek, go up the other side, and keep angling toward the obvious bivi bench at the base of the face.

Have fun,

John

juan- are you serious!?!?! what approaches are you comparing TNF to? are we talking about the same mountain? i think not. dude if you think that 5 hours of nettles and stickers and devils club is easy... you can ferry my pack in cause i guess i gotta go back to that hell on earth.... i that is easy to you... you are a stud...

I've been climbing in the Cascades for over 15 years. I get out every weekend of the summer. Anyone who says the North Face is an easy approach is approaching in early season with ample snow. If you're calling the approach to the N. Face an easy approach, you're simply talking out your ass, and may be giving someone the wrong impression about what to expect. If you go in there now, you will run into an ugly, nasty bushwack. I think 99/100 would agree.

Juan, we're talking about the N. Face of Shuksan, not the N. Face of Little Si.

Danielpatricksmith says 30 minutes of "harmless bushwacking" etc etc ... there's no possible way you could bushwack into the N. Face in 30 minutes (with the conditions present last weekend). It's physically impossible. And Juan, what approaches are you comparing Shuksan's N. Face to to call it easy?

[ 07-31-2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: MountainMan ]

Red Monk, sverdina and Mountain Man: Juan, Colin and myself did NF Shuksan in late July last year, there was no snow on the approach. I had meant 30 minutes of bushwhacking, with another 2 1/2 hours of open forrest and ridgeline hiking. The approach was really no big deal. Took a bit more than 3 hours by my recollection. No nettles, devils club or anything truly nasty. Perhaps we lucked out and found the best possible route. I am sorry you had such a bad experience, but I am telling the truth. My feeling is that a lot folks just don't know from nasty approaches.

[ 08-01-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

Napalm would be the ticket.

If you don't want to much brush , but more hiking time, cross the creek and head up onto the wooded ridge on the other side of the valley.

If you don't mind battling brush but want a direct route, Go to the junction 50 yards from chair 8? take the left fork which ends in a clearcut. Drop down on the edge of the clearcut to the creek bottom and follow the creek up into the basin.

Last time I was in there, Highlander and I brought jeans, long sleeves, and gloves for the brush and then cached them in the basin.

We did the NF car to car. The brush sucked. It would have been worse with skiis on our packs though.

I would be curious to know what the time would be if the NF was approached from Price Lake? When the trail meets the end of the lake, cut up right to the base of the NF. I could be way off on my judgement but this might work pretty fast?

We really need to all make a nice trail into this side of Shuksan. there are a million "lines of surveyor taper" on both sides of the valley. With a good trail, this would be one of, if not the closest from the car areas from yo yo skiing, serracing, and alpine rock around. And no, a trail would be less environmental impact than the current situation. Everybody going their own way.

Bellingham climbers, will you guys take the lead on this one? I'll bet 35 people with machete's, loppers, shovels, and picks could build a nice trail in a weekend. If you look on a map, as a crow flies it is a very, very short distance.

PS. OFf the subject but since Fisher Chimney was mentioned, INMHO, Fisher chimneys is proabaly the best route on the mountain. And one of the most classic routes in the state at any grade.

I'd be happy to guide this route all season. Plus the bouldering at Lake Ann rocks.

[big Drink]

SCREW THAT SHEEIT....

first of all this project should be funded by some sort of parking pass deal....i mean they are screwing you out of the money anyways......

secondly it should only be handled in a bearucratic way.....years from now once the appropiations committmees form sub committes to reivew the feasability of a trail into the area. from there they will need to perfrom a eia. and the present that the sub committe of sub committes and then have it reviewed by the sub committe to forward it onto the committe and then they can appraoch the funds committe to see if it economical to log or mine in the area. then they will need to perform another eia and present that to the main logging and mining interests in the area to see if it serves their needs. at that point they will ask for a 47 second public commnet period in which we can fill out surveys. questions being:

1. would you rather be killed or pay a parking fee? yes or no

2. would you rather pay a fee then not ever to vist your fmaily again? yes or no

3. do you think the fleece job and the under handed tactics of all federal land entities is in the best interest of the people who truly own the land? yes or yes?

after the survey period then they would alter the offedning answers and show that they have public support for logging and mining the area.

at that time they would open up bidding for contractors to over bid the job and then allow for private sector cost over runs to jack the price and make a true mockery of all citizens.

i love the deforrest service and i love larry the tool the most....

thats how trails are built