[TR] Dragontail-Colchuck - Aasgard Pass 6/25/2011

ajpederson

Trip: Dragontail-Colchuck - Aasgard Pass

Date: 6/25/2011

Trip Report:

Figured I'd post this for a quick conditions update. Headed out for a longer hike to make sure my inhaler was going to take care of my asthma before i go on some alpine trips. Thanks for coming with Matt.

We left the trail head at 3am and hiked up to Colchuck Lake. Ran into small patches of snow a little before the lake and going around it. Solid snow started at the far end of the lake. Being we went so early, the snow was nice and solid and perfect for crampons.

5878912016_a6f444c8c0_z.jpg

Dragontail from the lake.

Then headed up Aasgard pass, trended to the right and then up Dragontail. Traversed over to Pandora's Box and then down to the Dragontail-Colchuck saddle.

5878353983_1f80981308_z.jpg

View of the traverse.

From the saddle we headed up Colchuck across a couple small rock bands, but mostly snow. We had our "lunch" on the top of Colchuck at about 9am.

5878355327_2778c963bd_z.jpg

Colchuck summit shot right before we ate lunch.

Headed back down to the saddle and then down the Colchuck Glacier. The sun hadn't hit the glacier yet so we kept the crampons on to get down. Finally got to glissade a little bit back to the lake on a slope that had been in the sun for a while. Ran into quite a few people we knew on the way out, so that was pretty fun but added some time to our hike out.

5878919010_3e768c8779_z.jpg

Matt reading the permit slips back at the trailhead after a little over 10 hours since we'd left.

It was a great day in the mountains and everything worked out so I should be good to go for alpine climbs now!!!

Gear Notes:

Ice axe and crampons.

Approach Notes:

Up to Colchuck Lake, up Aasgard Pass, down the Colchuck Glacier.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic