new single wall mountaineering tent: Assault 2

iceaxe23

used to be the Assault 22 back in the day and just brought back by TNF now as Assault 2.

Just got one and so far it looks like a great tent.

with bag, removable vestibule (with pole), snow stakes, and aluminum stakes it is right at 5 lbs

Just the main tent with two poles and snow stakes is right at 3lbs, and that I liked.

tent has a built in gear loft, window in the rear and a little bit of mesh for both window and front door. It also has guy lines ties on the sides.

tent itself is made of "drywall" a new lightweight Waterproof breathable material. I could not find any reviews yet so thought I would post. I will update once I get away from work and can really test it out.

[img:left]http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/dan8152/IMG_0401.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/dan8152/IMG_0402.jpg[/img]

And yes that is my couch (it was free)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nice tent." Is it made in China?

North Face is modestly sized unit of VF Corp.

Quote from their most recent SEC Form 10K:

" Sales to VF's largest customer, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., totaled 10% of Total Revenues in 2010 and 11% in 2009

and 2008, the majority of which were in the Jeanswear Coalition."

"Nice tent." Is it made in China?

North Face is modestly sized unit of VF Corp.

Quote from their most recent SEC Form 10K:

" Sales to VF's largest customer, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., totaled 10% of Total Revenues in 2010 and 11% in 2009

and 2008, the majority of which were in the Jeanswear Coalition."

No one cares.

Suss ist vune's Sowul bei der Vahlmartz desshthrouy-ed!!!!

Diz but aber veer als der reihne Bergsteigern alle HATEzn!!!!...

OOunt ahlzo vhy ist der Builder's Plas\SCHticK fghrom der Oyel des Zaudi Arapia, whatz de wazz der Kilz unz Ahl, Unt day uhtz ahl de time fur de NYLON stuff, is der werry werry Beste furh der high altitude Deathz Kampz der ve ahl vanten zeehen konnen jah unsoweider...

Yes it is made in China just like the BD firstlight I was looking at too.

I was also looking at the SD convert 2 and that too was made in China.

I wanted the small Rab tent though not sure were it was made but a bit pricy (can't find on sale as much)

Though I don't shop at walmart much I do by my bullets and mountainhouse there (all US made I think)

Speaking very obliquely to the true topic at hand.....

I recently bought via Internet (not Wal-Mart) a new, cheap (not quite the cheapest) single-speed bike made in China to replace stolen, 30-yr-old custom-made frame from very fine, highly obscure and long-since defunct English shop. Stolen bike had 100% super-duper Vincenza-made components plus super-deluxe Brooks saddle.... a crappy version of which currently retails for a very significant fraction of price that I paid for the entire China bike ($280)

Honestly there is little difference in actual performance between the old, exquisitely handmade English bike, and the new piece of absolute crap from China, though this latest bike helpfully (???) does away with the very slim (lovely Italian) gear selection available on the old road bike. It does, I might add, have a freewheel..& added clipless pedals..and also, there are no hills to speak of, here in lower Michigan.......

Regarding Wal-Mart, one of the older female heiresses to its founder, recently acquired at great cost, from the NY Public Library, a unique and stunning "Hudson River School" painting of Millbrook, a remarkable cliff in the Shawangunks. This will be displayed in Bentonville, Ark., at a soon-to-open "major" art museum, sorta like I hear they got in Seattle, and I recommend a visit....

While ya'll are there, pick up a $24 Wenzel puptent. A great value and only 22 ounces without poles or stakes....