Inexpensive Synthetic Puffy

sprocket

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you consider "inexpensive". For the quality, the Arcteryx Atom line is very reasonably priced. Backcountry'com's Stoic house brand make some good products that can be had on SteepAndCheap for exceptional discounts. I haven't seen the synthetic insulated jackets, but I imagine they are very good for the price you would pay if you get them on SAC.

$100 or less would be cheap for me. Arcteryx is great stuff but I can usually only justify it when it is on closeout.

Something I'd mainly use for cool mornings cragging or day climbs where there was need for something warm other than down.

You might check out the REI brands. Not as alpine chic as Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx, etc. I have one of their older light synthetic puffies (Gossamer with hood) and have gotten good use out of it. I don't know if you can go under $100, but it will probably be at least $40-$70 less than the top models. Otherwise look for sales on-line and at your local climbing shops. Good luck!Eldorado-Klawatti_08_013.JPG

I've had a cheapo fluffy for years. Named the "walmart belay jacket" by a good friend, it has stood up to years of cold and discomfort at camp and long belays. I'm pretty sure it came from Value Village or a sale at Target. Doesn't pack down very well, but makes a nice pillow. It lives in the trunk of my car with a roll of duct tape in case it needs repair, which it never does.

Just sayin'

Don't leave bargains off your list, depending on your needs an off-brand cheapo might do ya right.

I have a thought to pick one of these up sometime.

http://www.idigear.com/nballinone.php,

Not much good to climb in but would be good sitting or standing

around, and open hiking.

Other than that I got a Marmot primaloft jacket in brand

new condition from value village that I am using now. If

you have good thrift stores close by and have the time to be patient you can find what you need eventually.

Of course the high dollar stuff is the best but ordinary jackets made of good material with a hood with the right

kind of lighter design would not be that bad, basically, polyester is polyester. Can water proof with spray if wanted.

Puffy jacket, synthetic, at a pound and cheaper, not that realistic to find. Something has to give unless you get really lucky.

Dan

Edited by DanO

Thanks for all the input. Just ordered a Stoic Luft Insulated Sweater from Dept of Goods (I think they are associetaed with SAC) for $64 including shipping. Comes in at just under a pound supposedly and is bright green. Not sure about the color but I'll be visible.