Madrone

kevbone

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madrone is a myth. Last time by (I was driving past all the time to you know where -ie, the former secret place named Cathedral) there were do not trespass signs there...and I think that they meant it.

If you wait a few more weeks, grab some extra quick draws and head to Madrone, it's it's closed, keep heading up that road and do some bolted climbs on some seriously fun rock. shitloads of quickdraws and a single 60 meter rope is all you need. This is your kind of climbing Kev.

Ben Priestly and Scott Peterson topping out on the Old Witch

106865091_large_c115cd.jpg

route overview

107187148_large_b39ad3.jpg

Some routes you can cheat, swing off and hit the rap point (any rap point will go to another rap point with a single 60 meter rope) but some are longer. Jeff's route, Lava Tube, has 21 bolts in a full rope length of solid and fun 5.7. You'd dig the heck out of it.

• 1 month later...

Kevin and Bill,

Sorry that I have not been on CC.com that much this Summer. Here is the latest from Keith in a letter to the County. The last thing that I was actually involved with this Spring was getting climbing management plans / guidelines ( at the County's request) from Beacon, Skinners, Mt Hood, and Smith.

Keith has an engineer who is drafting up the plans pro-bono ( I think it's the engineer who has been working on the Sellwood Bridge), and those plans are just about complete for parking area, roadway access, & ingress/egress from HWY 224. The OR National Guard stands ready to do the work ( substantial savings), but the County will have to put the project up for bid (legally they have to). There is funding in the County's budget for the Madrone that needs to be used up ( or start being used by the end of this year). If my memory serves me correctly, it might be about $70K - the ONG can just about do the construction work for $70K.

Thanks for asking. Here is Keith's letter to Chris VanDuzer with the County dated July 14, 2011.

Kellie Rice

President, MWPC

Chris:

I talked to Scott Nettleton this morning and he plans to submit the draft engineering construction documents for Madrone Wall Park to you at Clackamas County next Monday 18 July. Scott and I have been working together this winter and spring and on Tuesday I saw an preliminary draft plan from him. This preliminary draft plan is a drawing set of several detailed sheets showing designs for highway approach and approach road pull-outs; approach road construction, cross section, and profile; parking area layout, etc. all applied to the site topography that was previously surveyed.

With Scott submitting his draft plan to you at Clackamas County Department of Business and Community Services on Monday, moving forward with your plans to request Conditional Use Application and ODOT extensions is warranted. What is the status of provisionally allocated funding by Clackamas County for this project, to possibly include 2006 Metro Greenspace local share bond measure funds? Having talked to Captain Wayne Mitchell at Oregon National Guard's Innovative Readiness Training program earlier this year, this project is being kept on the ONG's radar as a possible project for them for which they have high interest.

Scott is interested in obtaining feedback on his draft plan from Clackamas County after he submits. He is also interested in discussing the project further with Captain Mitchell and his team to get ONG's feedback. Let's discuss necessary next steps to move this effort forward after Scott submits the draft plan next week to you at Clackamas County.

Keith K. Daellenbach (kdaellenbach@att.net, 503/673-5065)

Secretary/Treasurer, Director

Madrone Wall Preservation Committee

5815 N.E. 31st Avenue

Portland, Oregon 97211

www.savemadrone.org

P.S.: Please note Scott's contact is:

Scott Nettleton, P.E.

Associate

T.Y. Lin International

285 Liberty Street N.E., Suite 350

Salem, Oregon 97301

503/385-4200