Scary rock/ice avy on Nisqually Cleaver 06/25/11

YocumRidge

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the slide activity continued through Monday.

There is more on this in the Seattle Times: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015453613_rainier29m.html

Yes, we climbed a part of the N. Icefall next morning before the sun hit the cleaver - the only time window the slides subsided but oh man crossing that avy path was tough, cuz I really suck at sprint hurdling :)

Yes, we climbed a part of the N. Icefall next morning before the sun hit the cleaver - the only time window the slides subsided but oh man crossing that avy path was tough, cuz I really suck at sprint hurdling :)

No matter how much I have tried in the past I have never seen a pattern in ice fall. One of the biggest seracs I saw fall happened overnight on Adams, where nothing collapsed during the middle of the previous sunny warm day. Looks like lots of debris kept falling off the cleaver during the weekend, with big events happening at different times during the day.

I personally could never rationalize crossing under the Nisqually Cleaver/Ice fall after it saw (and personally seeing) a series of the biggest rock/ice fall events in a long time.

Looks like you guys have some serious higher power on your side.

saw your video on the morning news, channel 2. the news folk think we are crazy.

Weird, we did not give permission to the channel 2 on the video release. Do you have the link, Gene, by chance?

Or the channel 2 is the Weather channel in Seattle (which we did give the permission to)?