MH EV2 Direct

Jake_Gano

Anybody used one? Looks like a nice tent, and I have the chance to pick one up on the cheap. However, they were only made for a couple of years, which makes me wonder if there is a problem with them (and that's why nobody bought them?) or if it was just to specialized for public consumption.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked one up cheap in October and it has served me well on several ski tours and climbing trips. Handles wind no problem. The lack of vestibule can be a pain but if you are planning for it it is survivable. The condensation can be a pain though. That's my only complaint. If there is no snow/rain coming down, we generally slept with the door partially open to avoid excess moisture buildup. I would buy it again.

The condensation can be a pain though. That's my only complaint. If there is no snow/rain coming down, we generally slept with the door partially open to avoid excess moisture buildup. I would buy it again.

this is true for all single wall tents. (and jackets too) So I would not let this data point deter you from getting this tent. If you want a tent that breathes well in a rain storm, you need a double wall tent.

I saw that they made one for Uli Steck to use in the Himalaya

Since it's blindingly obvious that Ueli climbs as hard as he does because of the tent he uses, rather than his training program, it's clear you should wait for his supertent to be mass-marketed and then buy one so you can subsequently climb as hard as Ueli.

Eric Carter said: “The lack of vestibule can be a pain but if you are planning for it, it is survivable.”

Has anyone seen / and / or tried out one of these Cuben Fiber tents: “The Rocket Tent by Brooks-Range Mountaineering has an aerodynamic shape, and one door and one vestibule. Summer poles are provided for year-round use, and a floor footprint is available.” Winter weight (without poles): 1 lb 5.9 oz (620 g) Summer weight (with included poles): 2 lbs 0.4 oz (920 g) Floor area: 21.5 ft2 Vestibule area: 7.0 ft2 Peak height: 38"

It is reviewed with LOTS of pictures at: http://www.alpineambitions.com/Alpine_Ambitions/Rocket_Tent.html

“It is designed to work with a 300-cm probe. However, since no 300-cm probe is exactly 300-cm, the probe attachment system accepts a range of lengths. 300-cm is ideal. 285-cm to 315-cm works without sacrificing function. The tent has four vents built in. There are two right at the highest point of the walls. Even without a wind outside, it is amazing how much airflow occurs between these two vents when they are both open. You can feel it with your hand. There is also a vent at the foot, which if you’ve got it pointed into the wind, can create a good draft.

Last night (September 9th, 2010) was a great night to test the Rocket Tent on Volcán Puyehue, in the Lakes District of Chile. It was snowing! It snowed and blew until sunrise, but the tent never shook and the walls never changed shape. It rained, and occasionally snowed big, wet flakes, for about twelve hours straight. Every piece of fabric that I had with me got wet. The outer layers of all my three-layer, waterproof fabrics got soaked; the pack was soaked; boots; gloves; you name it. And I wasn’t ever out for long.

The tent didn’t let one drop of water in. It weighs next-to-nothing! Having a full tent, with room for gear and moving around, but carrying the weight of a bivy bag is a tremendous bonus!

I had a Mountain Hardwear tent. It was too heavy and overbuilt for purpose for which it was designed. On the other hand it worked good and kept me dry in a long series of intensely bad weather fronts. I gave it away.

so the tent worked admirably in tough conditions, you claim it is overbuilt and give it away. smart.

just curious but what is the purpose for which the tent was designed? sounds like a good expedition tent.

i used the rocket tent.

pros- light, waterproof, warm, able to cram 2 folks inside.

cons - very poor ventilation even with the vestibule wide open which lets snow drifts in during the winter, and mosquitos in the summer. It also requires A LOT of staking out.

I gave it back after one trip

Yeah it kept me dry: so would the inside of a Volkswagen but that doesn't mean I want to carry one around....

Mine was a one-person tent of unremarkable design used by several manufacturers, now or in the past (am not up on it). I think I acquired it second hand. Its niche in my closet is currently occupied by the Wenzel 22-ounce job (much more roomy!)

My vague impression was that as of some years ago, tents by MH (unit of Columbia Sportswear Inc.) were most impressive in the winter mountain end of its line...Same philosophy applied to its 3-season tents was less successful. Similar story for VF Corp.'s North Face.

Come to think of it, I also have a tarp/puptent floorless thing that MH briefly manufactured. It's got a plastic window and aluminum hoop in the rear, netting & no storm flaps on the front, and is pretty much twice as heavy as it needs to be. And btw, I got very damp using it in a long series of thunderstorms over a period of very tolerable days.

Looking over their line currently, it seems rather less interesting than what they offered a number of years ago. Maybe is just me. I notice a nice ladies dress and several different skirts for mostly less than $100 each.

I'm good with the winter end of things currently with a "Hex" pyramid & won't personally be needing anything heavier or stronger than this.

Layton, thanks for the info on using the Rocket. You said, "cons - very poor ventilation even with the vestibule wide open."

P.S. I have used tricks to keep vents open, such as the sleeve vent in the back of the eVent "shelter" by Rab, the Summit Superlite Bivi. I found a plastic food container which fit the sleeve perfectly, and after a bit of sawing and a little thread, the ventilation improved dramatically. I've also cut away the cardboard tube from a peanut container, leaving a very light but tough ring, which if sewn inside a vent can be flipped up or down to keep the vent open. I'm not sure is the Rocket vents can be improved this way or not.

Edited by NotMessner

Regarding the "Rocket" I'd be very skeptical of a non-breathable single-wall tent with floor under certain conditions, in particular on snow in high humidity around freezing. (My Wenzel in those circumstances would be undesirable).

The bit of snow you inevitably drag in, plus copious condensation, will accumulate as significant amount of liquid on the damnable floor, & you will miss not having a large sponge or bailing device, or pair of scissors.

Come to think of slightly different circumstance, the only time I left a snow camp set up all day under a fairly hot sun, we returned to find waterproof floors covered with a quarter inch of water.

My tentage was sufficiently minimal that this proved managable; less so for those near by whose massive amount of gear was piled in a large and well-branded dome.

Further, it might be at least noted, the old-fashioned double-wall design for winter tents is MUCH warmer, though obviously heavier and more troublesome than "mid" or Goretex-type designs which are by consensus adequate.