Old gear

wfinley

Rapped off this ancient Bonaiti biner in the mountains last weekend:

biner.jpg

The engraving is hard to read but it says "Bonaiti Italy".

I emailed Kong (who bought Bonaiti) and this is what they said:

"this carabiner is old for sure. It is very difficult to establish a firm date for making this carabiner. My colleagues who have been working here for long cannot recognize it. Perhaps it belongs to first output of more than 20 years ago. "

Anyone have any old Bonaiti biners? Any idea on age?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have perhaps thirty old Bonatti D biners (no lockers) from the mid 1970's. Still have them in a box in the garage. 'Heavy' best describes them. I've left some at rappel stations on occcasion. Most had blue gates, a few with red gates. The were state of the art in their day.

I have perhaps thirty old Bonatti D biners (no lockers) from the mid 1970's. Still have them in a box in the garage. 'Heavy' best describes them. I've left some at rappel stations on occcasion. Most had blue gates, a few with red gates. The were state of the art in their day.

I'd have to go down and rummage around the basement to check, but I believe those red-gate locking Bonattis were quite light because they were hollow and that's why they were so sketch.

I have a bunch of these, but no lockers. Most of my old stuff is Bonaiti and Chouinard, but I also came across some "Recreational Equipment Incorporated" carabiners and was wondering who made these for them? Was it an SMC private label product?

Omega Pacific isn't that old. It would be SMC. OP came into the picture 20 years later. But Bonaiti as well for earlier REI marked stuff. Kong was a later mark on Bonaiti as w/f mentions.

The Bonaiti you are showing is mid '70s gear not 60s. And I 'd bet originally bought at REI if you found it in NA.