[TR] Pillars of Hercules - Vertical Vegetables? 6/19/2011

cluck

Trip: Pillars of Hercules - Vertical Vegetables?

Date: 6/19/2011

Trip Report:

I've driven by this random column of basalt in the Gorge many times and often wondered what's up there. RPC's information page on SP.org here whet my appetite years ago but only finally got around to it this weekend for a quick father's day adventure. My unwitting accomplice, Steve, had no idea what I was getting him into other than I promised an 'adventure' but he was a good sport.

After parking at the Bridal Veil pullout, we bushwhacked through neck-high stinging nettles down to an old railroad grade and approached the pillar from the east.

Pillar.JPG

As promised, the route was fully vegetated, but looked easy enough:

Pitch_13.JPG

After 80' of vertical vegetable-wallowing the route crests a ridge and then traverses 20' to a belay tree on the freeway side. A fixed tri-cam and old knifeblade protect a couple easy moves and then a mossy offwith leads up to the spacious top.

While lounging on top, we enjoyed victory honks from passing traffic and excited waves from suprised tourons at the Bridal Veil overlook. Steel cables slung around a 'mystery heap' of dirt and weeds and a duct tape "locking" carabiner made a comforting rap anchor for the descent back through the tree canopy which mercilessly tangled our ropes.

Gotta love Gorge adventure climbs!

Gear Notes:

Pro in the 2-4 inch range. 2 ropes for the rap. Round up for the weeds.

Approach Notes:

Machete. Seriously. And long pants/sleeves for the stinging nettles.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank the good lord for fixed tri cams eh? Make a note for folks not to toss their ropes out too far all casual like when they rap in case the first train by runs over them.

Still, I don't know if you want to be posting stuff like this in public Cluck. It's really a short distance till you go from happy go lucky half crazed explorer to being locked up in a loonie bin. That's right man, I'll say it right here. I've seen stuff you've posted. Your Rabbit ears trip report, for instance, and stepped back in awe...silenced to see one so crazed...but this....dude....I was thinking that you make a mistake and did Rabbit Ears accidentally, but this HAD to be intentional..... it's so ugly....and you saw it early with plenty of time to go elsewhere...it's madness. Madness I say. I'd rather not see stuff like this ever online.

Honestly though, I'd like to meet you at some point. I'd tie in with you though...you can lead of course. Damn dude. What you be smokin? Do you ever get out to new places to scrape moss and do FA's? They are cleaner and safer than this. More fun too, the spirit of adventure and the force is strong in this one Obewan...yes, the force is strong with this one...

starwars.gif

We need to redirect that energy away from the dark side is all....no joke. It can be a positive force for good. I will help you. Not this weekend. The next.

Contact me.

You crack me up, Bill! C'mon - Rabbit Ears isn't that bad. A little adventure is good for the soul. I think you're right, scraping moss would be more fun if it was in pursuit of FA's. Sounds awesome!

Wayne, not sure what this route was like back in the day, but there's a fair bit of moss and some ferns now. Probably not as bad as I made it out to be. I'm kind of a whiner :)

• 2 weeks later...