Exit 47 Crag

FFSummers

There's a small Crag off of I-90 around mp48, I can see 4 bolted routes and they look like fun. Anyone have any info on this crag?? I stumbled onto it probably 15 years ago but never climbed any of the routes, they look hard. I stopped by there tonight, via the access tunnel under the freeway such a novelty, and it was cool to see that theres been some climbing going on there. I look foward to climbing there when things dry out, even thought the freeway is super loud.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin Cash took me there once. It actually IS in a guidebook, as he had it with him, but I do not remember which one. You approach it by walking through a huge storm drain under the highway. We climbed a few routes, all quite stout(!!) but the area sees little traffic so everything a bit dirty and run down.

Ah, the "Fun Forest". Thanks guys! And yes, they do look to be stout, short and interesting.

I think the tunnel is interesting too. I don't think it's for drainage, it's a man tunnel with an asphalt floor. Just not sure why there would be an access tunnel built there? Cool that it happens to lead right to a climbing crag though.

After looking into it more it sounds like there is atleast 1 other crag further up the hill behind this one. I've climbed much of what X38 has to offer and this is a new crag for me so I plan to give these routes a try. It's nice to know that there's still unexplored areas for me, I live right in North Bend so I feel obligated to climb all the local crags. The beta on the Crack pitches make them sound dirty but the rock quality is good.

p 265 of sky valley rock has fun forest in snoq pass. actually has three areas in that general location. Blonde bluff is 150 yd east of fun forest.

Oh good, there is even more! Blonde Bluff.....I will go looking for it when I'm up there. What is the 3rd area?

Anne W/ an E has one really nice route - a straight up flaring finger hand crack. The rest are no so stellar.

Directly above is a short curving crack that is most likely filthy. Brontosauers Are Born.... It may look goofy but its a fun tips crack.

Blondie Bluff's routes are short thin hand cracks.

the 11c flared crack thats east of the other routes might need some scrubbin inside the crack. It looks light a fun tr. too bad its even closer to the freeway than the other routes.

Behind funforest is another lone block with a few routes, including a short chimney thing and a hard, but good looking flared finger crack/seam. The bolted route that starts under a mini roof /bulge is also really fun- on the main block. I think that route gets climbed more than anything else there. On that route you can go straight up through the bolts to make it harder, or start traversing up and left with some small gear after you pull the bulge- finishing on far left anchors.

Fun forest is one of my favorite spots for some chill- low commitment climbing. Have fun!

This place is actually somewhat historical.

I've been hitting this crag for the last 22 years and have done all the routes. If you live in North Bend and are wanting to brush up on your Index skills or are bored with the trestle area choss, it is a nice diversion.

Sadly most of the bolts are retrobolts. The bolts are rumored to have have been placed by the same person who also retrobolted Infinite Bliss.

This place is actually somewhat historical.

I've been hitting this crag for the last 22 years and have done all the routes. If you live in North Bend and are wanting to brush up on your Index skills or are bored with the trestle area choss, it is a nice diversion.

Sadly most of the bolts are retrobolts. The bolts are rumored to have have been placed by the same dreadlocked person who also retrobolted and ruined Infinite Bliss.

It sounds like some fun Trad potential up there, thanks. As for the bolting by L.W. I climb his routes out here and all over the state and I have nothing but respect. Thanks for the info, I thought this Crag might date back awhile.

As for the bolting by L.W. I climb his routes out here and all over the state and I have nothing but respect.

Me too! +10 on this comment. As for IB, I don't really see how it was ruined, as stated earlier. Don't like it? Don't climb it!

It's been a helluva adventure for hundreds (thousands?) the past few years.

As for IB, I don't really see how it was ruined, as stated earlier. Don't like it? Don't climb it!

"Don't like it?" It's an illegal rap-bolted sport-climb, on a mountain, in a wilderness area.

You're right: "Don't climb it!" Boycott it for what it is.

Someday, officially or otherwise, it will likely be erased.

As for IB, I don't really see how it was ruined, as stated earlier. Don't like it? Don't climb it!

"Don't like it?" It's an illegal rap-bolted sport-climb, on a mountain, in a wilderness area.

I hope the route doesn't get chopped, how lame. I was heavy into 4xing and an avid rock crawler before getting back into climbing. I've seen first hand what can happen when a user group starts overly policing themselves and turning on eachother. Some encouraged others to turn in ileagal wheelers and would point out trail damage to the "athorities". In the end we all suffered when the ORV parks got shut down. The "moral high ground folks" imposed their ethics on all of us and killed the sport in the state of WA. I don't think hikers and other user groups have a problem with IB. Just let it go man

Edited by FFSummers

I hope the route doesn't get chopped, how lame. I was heavy into 4xing and an avid rock crawler before getting back into climbing. I've seen first hand what can happen when a user group starts overly policing themselves and turning on eachother. Some encouraged others to turn in ileagal wheelers and would point out trail damage to the "athorities". In the end we all suffered when the ORV parks got shut down. The "moral high ground folks" imposed their ethics on all of us and killed the sport in the state of WA. I don't think hikers and other user groups have a problem with IB. Just let it go man

Sorry, brother. Ain't lettin' it go, and I'm by far not the only one with the same perspective. Future generations will thank us for preserving our finite wilderness.

Sorry, brother. Ain't lettin' it go, and I'm by far not the only one with the same perspective. Future generations will thank us for preserving our finite wilderness.

Insert "beating dead horse" emoticon now!

dead-horse.jpg

Edited by DRep