personal safety for female and males

Scott_J

I know this is long, but read it and share it with someone. I used to teach math, and because of all the federal regulations for drug classes, sexual harassment, sex/HIV/AIDS education, and personal safety classes. I took an interest in the drug and personal education classes as my point of interest for the kids. Please read on and share. By the way this is not a joke.

Last night I attended a personal safety workshop, and it jolted me. It was

given by an amazing man, Pat Malone, who has been a body guard for famous

figures like Farrah Fawcett and Sylvester Stallone. He works for the FBI

and teaches police officers and Navy SEALS hand-to-hand combat. This man

has seen it all, and knows a lot. He focused his teachings to us on HOW TO

AVOID BEING THE VICTIM OF A VIOLENT CRIME. He gave us some statistics about

how much the occurrences of random violence have escalated over the recent

years, and it's terrible. Something like 99% of

us will be exposed to, or become a victim of a violent crime.

Here are some of the most important points that I got out of his

presentation:

(1.) The three reasons women are easy targets for random acts of violence

are:

(a.) Lack of Awareness You MUST know where you are & what's going on

around you.

(b.) Body Language Keep your head up, swing your arms, stand straight up.

(c.) Wrong Place, Wrong Time DON'T walk alone in an alley, or drive in a

bad neighborhood at night.

(2.) Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating,

working, and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc).

DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect

opportunity for him to get in the passenger side, put a gun to your head,

and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE!

(a.) A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking

garage: Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger

side floor, and in the back seat.

(b.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the

passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them

into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

(c.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the

passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car,

you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman

to

walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

3.) ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are

horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).

4.) If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS

RUN!

(a.)The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And

even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!

5.) As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get

you raped, or killed.

(a.) Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good looking, well educated man,

who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his

vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

(b.) Pat Malone told us the story of his daughter, who came out of the

mall and was walking to her car when she noticed 2 older ladies in front of

her. Then she saw a police car come towards her with cops who said hello.

She also noticed that all 8 handicap spots in the area were empty. (SHE

WAS AWARE OF HER SURROUNDINGS!!) As she neared her car she saw a man a fewrows over calling to her for help. He wanted her to close his passenger side door. He was sitting in the back on the driver's side, and said he washandicapped. He continued calling, until she turned and headed back to the

mall,and then he began cursing at her. In the meantime, she wondered why he

didn't ask the 2 older ladies, or the policeman for help, and why he was

not parked in any of the empty handicap spots. As she got back to the mall,

two male friends of hers were exiting, and as she told them the story, and

turned to point at the car, the man was getting out of the back seat into

the front and the car sped away.

DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THIS TRAP.

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life.

A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this

to the ladies only; but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters,

daughters, etc., you may want to pass it on to them, as well. Send this to

any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in

has a lot of crazies in it....better safe than sorry.

PLEASE BE SAFE AND NOT SORRY! JUST A WARNING TO ALWAYS BE ALERT AND USE YOUR HEAD!!!

Pass this along to every woman you have access to. Never let your guard down.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEAR TP, . There has been activity in Oregon involving young girls disappearing, so maybe, just maybe by posting this and having you read it and share it with someone you know who has female children or share it with an adult female you may save a life.(you are from oregon according to the profile)What is wrong with this site? Huh? Is spray just limited to climbing, I don't think so?

YES, this is appropriate as far as I am conderned. Besides are you the SPRAY POLICE?

I appreciate the reminder, sisu. If one woman OR man reads this and avoids danger at some point in the future, you performed a valuable service. I perceive very few men understand what it is like to feel vulnerable so frequently as the women with whom I have had this discussion.

good post geezer! [Razz]

I'd rather read that than the oil drilling thread, what the hell does that have to do with climbing anyway? (it doesen't but because it's a greenpeace/sierra club topic, the whiners here feel it's appropriate somehow) [Wazzup]

By the way, I forwarded this to my wife, thanks.

Just a thought, but some of those recommendations are ridiculous.

If there is a male in the car next to you, go back into the mall and get a security guard? [Confused][Confused] Give me a break! Common sense should always be exercised, but there is a fine line between common sense and living your life in fear. I don't care what your sex is, living your life in fear is pointless unnecessary. To quote another cc.comer who was quoting Big Lou or Jim Whittaker or some famous climber, who was quoting Helen Keller,

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the

children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run

than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Not to say that walking to your car at night is a daring adventure, but day-amn people.

to a certin extent I agree with you. Yet sometimes that extra mesure of awareness is key to survival. I would be willing to bet that YOU have never been raped. Going back to the mall for a security guard is EXTREAM. but if the guy was in the car when I parked and was still there when I got back to my car... you can bet your ass I would high tail it back to the mall full tilt.

And for those of you who may not think this is an issue that concerns climbers or climbing, you are wrong.

really only 3 girls on this site, am I one of them?

personally as a single mom I am very aware of my surroundings. my little girl just turned 6 and is quite a cutie - needless to say I appreciate the reminders but if you are a woman single or not this day and age and don't take precautions or carry some sort of protection with you - you can kiss your ass good bye at some point. not that what I have with me will save my soul completely but HELL if I go down, I'm taking someone with me, and if not I will leave my mark.

really only 3, there has to me a couple more of us. [Confused][Razz]

I find it odd that this guy would want to remind women to be aware of their surroundings when they're in the parking lot somewhere, considering we're all, uh, climbers, and the objective danger of doing that is just a teeny bit higher than walking to the car somewhere. Hell, I'm already in the risk, and hardly ever lock my house even. Whatever, pal! WTF, and who the hell are you to try to remind me how to behave with this irrelevant drivel?

quote:

Originally posted by richard noggin:

Lady's get a Conceled Weapons Permit and erradicate this scum.[/QB]

To respond to Nogoodin, If you were referring to me as scum I think you should think otherwise. On the other hand if you are speaking catagorically about the losers that prey upon the weak then I agree.

If I was a weak woman I would always carry a green lightsaber with me. It is an elegant weapon from a more civilized time you know. Not a red one though, because that is what darth vader uses and you might think I was a bad guy. It is small and would fit in my purse nicely or maybe I could hook my keys onto it. Then when the mall stalker attacked I would cut his arm off. Of course I would first try the non-violent approach, "You do not want to rape me. I am not the victum you are looking for." But the mind trick doesn't always work on heathen so you gotta get medieval on the muthafukas (that was for you Erik). Just a few thoughts.

good idea tex... the only problem I see with that idea is the amount of training it takes to become a Jedi... and if I remember crorectly there were no women jedi's... although i could be wrong on that,

here is my idea... How about an inflatable hardman...sounds bad yes I know. but he could be verry useful. Say for instance a woman is being followed to her car. She can reach in her well oranized purse and pull out the hardman. as he lands on the ground he inflates...fights off the attacker and walks her the rest of the way home. when she is finished with him... she pulls the valve and he deflates. thus not needing to be fed, looked after or paid attention to in anyother way. [Wink][Razz][Wink][Wink]

All ya gotta do is walk around like ya own the place, whatever that place may be, and nobody's going to give you any guff. No gun, just a little common sense. Doy. Get mugged or raped a lot? Me neither.

Now why the hell is this being talked about at cc.com? If we were at ParanoidFrightenedWomenWalkingThroughDarkAlleysAtNightInLingerie.com, it might make more sense.

quote:

Originally posted by Bianca Piaggio:

All ya gotta do is walk around like ya own the place, whatever that place may be, and nobody's going to give you any guff. No gun, just a little common sense. Doy. Get mugged or raped a lot? Me neither.

Now why the hell is this being talked about at cc.com? If we were at ParanoidFrightenedWomenWalkingThroughDarkAlleysAtNightInLingerie.com, it might make more sense.

shut up bull dyke