Lance Armstrong

allthumbs

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance is the man. [big Drink][big Drink][Eek!]

He is just unbelievable, almost dead one year, then kicking ass for four years in a row.

He is one hell of a role model. We need more people like him, and we need to throw all those basketball and football players in jail for good.

I started following Lance when he was 16(?) when he won the junior national championship. I remember watching the mountain stage in the rain when he pulled over and dropped out of the tour right before he was diagnosed. You would be hard pressed to find someone who has experienced both extremes of life ,sickness and health, like he has. He is the measuring stick all other athletes are compared to in my mind. His life inspires me every day.

quote:

Originally posted by sisu suomi:

I was listening to NPR story about this race. There was according to the NPR newsperson quite a flap in France that Lance was too dominating. Now, how can one be too dominating in a race to win?
[Confused]

I heard that next year they are going to tie one of his legs behind his back to try to even it out a bit more. Everyone still thinks he will win easily though. [big Grin]

quote:

I was listening to NPR story about this race. There was according to the NPR newsperson quite a flap in France that Lance was too dominating. Now, how can one be too dominating in a race to win?

French: Ha ha, zi amerikan, Armstrong must be dup-ay! (doping) Zhust loook at 'is perfurmance and 'is hair!

Me: Actually, that's chemo-therapy.

French: Yes well, zey cut uff Armstrong's balls! He 'as unly un testicle! He is more aero-dynamiic! Zis is IT! Everyboody cut uff your testicles!!

Me: [laf]

Here's to Lance, the good boys at US Postal, and a 4th Tour win!

quote:

Originally posted by two_banana:

"Someone postulated on National Public Radio a week or so ago that Lance Armstrong was the greatest athlete in the world. Greatest athlete in the world? I wonder if he’s an athlete at all."

This bozo must be a friend of Ken Schram's.

From the bottom of the article:

Ron Borges writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers boxing.

Boxing.

His idea of sport is people trying to beat the crap out of each other. [hell no]

Is this idiot for real? I can't believe that some overweight, non exercising jackass would even think of printing such an troll. When was the last time, if ever, this guy tried to ride a bike 100+ miles in a day, let alone, under six hours...for 28 days straight. If he had, he would know that it requires your entire body to complete such a feat. Not just your legs. Not an athlete.. what ever dickhead, light another cig and reach for cold one, then go away.

quote:

For my money, being the greatest athlete in the world involves strength, speed, agility, hand-eye coordination, mental toughness and the ability to make your body do things that defy description.

I thought coming back from near death to win the toughest race in the world defied description. Maybe this dudes parents never bought him a bicycle and had to ride his bigwheel to junior high.

Boxers and Pro football players aren't athletes, they're entertainers.

quote:

Originally posted by two_banana:

"Someone postulated on National Public Radio a week or so ago that Lance Armstrong was the greatest athlete in the world. Greatest athlete in the world? I wonder if he’s an athlete at all."

This bozo must be a friend of Ken Schram's.

The bozo wrote:

"For my money, being the greatest athlete in the world involves strength, speed, agility, hand-eye coordination, mental toughness and the ability to make your body do things that defy description. "

In that case, the greatest athlete ever was Alex Lowe.

There are certain "sports" that should really be considered skills because they do not require the "athlete" to be in particularly good shape. ie: golf, bowling, pool. Although these activities may require a certain amount of coordination, they do not require stamina, strength, aerobic & anarobic conditioning, and most important the mental toughness to crank out 2,200 miles (or what ever it was) in less than a month. My guess would be that this fool would break a sweat just thinking about getting his fat ass off the couch and on to a bike for the downhill ride to nearest bar.

climbing is most definately a sport. When you are climbing some mountain you are certainly working the aerobic side of the equation and while rock climbing you are on the anarobic side of things. Not to mention the mental and any other conditioning a person might do before a big climb.