Monte Cristo access current condition?

leadmade

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what the Forest Service has to say on their website:

I did note that someone did ascend Mt Dickerman (NW Hikers.net) the other day however, so people are getting in there, at least away's.

Monte Cristo

CLOSED

Currently inaccessible due to Mt Loop closure at Red Bridge and snow. Downed trees, snow and icy conditions likely. This road is gated at Barlow Pass, 4.0 miles one-way to old town site. No bridge at Sauk River crossing. Northwest Forest Pass required to park and walk or bike into Monte Cristo or other trails accessed from this closed road.

I lifted the language directly from the Forest Services' website. It sounds like they are indeed making us pay to park just about anywhere they choose, doesn't it? I have no idea what the criterion are to be considered a bonafide NW Forest Pass parking area. Hopefully something more whan a wide spot in the road.

In brief here's what the USFS says concerning the NW Forest Pass:

All USFS trailheads in Washington and Oregon with developed facilities (toilet, picnic table) charge a user fee - this includes most trailheads in the Cascades and Olympics.

I went up the mtn loop a couple weekends ago. The road conditions did not match what they website said about closure at red bridge. (The closure may apply during the mid week when they are working on the road though)

I was able to drive all the way to the gate by deer creek, where they usually gate for the winter time. Obviously no snow on the road. BUt that will increase the biking to get to monte cristo.

Jens - All you have to do is join the Monte Cristo Preservation Assn. to get a key - it's like $30/year & they'll even let you pick it up in Everett if you're in a hurry - just check their website. That said all you save is 3/4mile of hiking - so it's hardly worth it unless you have a ton of gear...