Giant boot rentals... size 15?

odarodle

Hey CC'ers... hoping someone might have an idea where to turn for mountaineering boot rentals for a men's size 15. We'll need to be able to find compatible crampons, too.

For his 65th birthday, I'm taking my dad up Baker (2 days of glacier skills and 2 for summit bids, if weather is good) in late July. He's been training and we're set to go.. except for the damn boots/ crampons. He's got size 15 sleds for feet, and I can't find a rental pair in the greater Seattle area beyond a 13.5.

I'd be grateful for any ideas!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use mine. I have a pair of Koflach Verticals, both with lightly used stock liners and Intuition liners (molded to my feet, which are probably different from your dad's). My feet are size 15.

I have climbed Baker several times, and after the first trip I gave up on taking my plastics. For every subsequent trip I used the Scarpa Triolets, which, while a bit snug in size 48, were much lighter and plenty warm for the conditions. At 65 your dad might appreciate the warmth of a plastic, but damn they are lousy on the dirt portion of the approach.

Located in Seattle. Send PM if you have questions. I have crampons, too. Feathered Friends also rents those, and I could loan my extend-o-spreader bars to make them fit my boots.

Not sure about the boots, but BD sells extension bars for their crampons, which should make them fit (and can be easily changed for the time of climb even if you have rental crampons).

I use them for my Sabertoohs when worn with 13.5 plastics and they seem like they will expand plenty more if needed.

Fromage, you're amazing. That's very generous. Sending you a PM.

We have a few friends hiking in for just the approach up RR grade... I think I'll have my dad use his regular hiking boots for that and enlist a friend to carry the plastics.

Thanks again. Have not been able to find an outfitter that carries size 15's, let alone rents them.