[TR] Trappers Peak - South Ridge 6/12/2011

Noodle

Trip: Trappers Peak - South Ridge

Date: 6/12/2011

Trip Report:

John and I climbed Trapper’s Peak in what I would call spring snow scramble conditions. The ridge was mostly snow covered with a few areas of exposed trail. There were large cornices on the east side of the ridge, but it was easy to keep a safe distance. The short steep gully that you reach soon after gaining the ridge was snow filled but thinning out enough that we were punching through to slick rock/heather. This was probably the trickiest part of the climb. We trended left near the summit onto rock & heather to avoid steep snow. Compared to my trip last September the summit was almost unrecognizable save a rock fin just to the north. If my memory serves, based on the bit exposed there’s proabably 5-6 feet of snow up there.

Gear Notes:

Ice ax

Approach Notes:

Road is in good shape. Patchy snow around 3500’, continuous snow by 3800’. In the trees the snow is perfect for booting. Out in the open and after it warms up things are a bit softer. Streams are running high and fast, especially in the afternoon. There are two crossings on the old road section of the trail that are tricky but do-able. Thorton lakes are still all snow/ice covered.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic