[TR] Little Tahoma - 6/9/2011

wbk

Trip: Little Tahoma -

Date: 6/9/2011

Trip Report:

Tim (therunningdog) and I climbed Little T this past Thursday. Forecast wasn’t great, but sounded good enough. Turned out to be better than expected. Snow all the way to road at White River, no difficulties getting over streams and we made good time getting up to Summerland and then on to Meany Crest. Most of our time is spent in the North Cascades so it was a wee bit of rude awakening to be reminded of how far and foreshortened everything is way above treeline and without the perspective of other relative peaks nearby. Rainier and Little T for that matter seem so close. Yet skinning the Frying Pan seems to go on forever as did the skin up to the summit block of Little T. Conditions weren’t far from ideal we’d say and our 5am start time had us at the summit by 11:30am. Tim and I took turns all day pushing each other and I was fully aware of our luck in having such a great partnership (too much mountain man love?)!

Corn from just shy of the summit block was in good form all the way to the notch above the Frying Pan. Frying Pan was in OK shape (some corn, but turning to mush) and lower than the Meany was heavy mush. We pushed several wet slides down as we contoured down the forest approach.

This trip was a good reminder how friggin awesome the Cascades are to not only have rad peaks,forests, rivers but these big ass volcanoes intermixed with them!

5826272115_cef6e148c0.jpg

Therunningdog

5826838982_ca14cc5fd5.jpg

5826290981_6640550465.jpg

5826850504_f445948b14.jpg

5826312929_d76d1c8c7b.jpg

Contemplating the chossy rock!

5826868202_64e903f195.jpg

5826323157_3fbe13aaae.jpg

Gear Notes:

30 m half rope, two pickets, crampons (never used this stuff), 1 set of teles, 1 splitty and heaps of sunscreen and carrots.

Approach Notes:

Still all snow!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, there is never such thing as too much mountain man love, as long as there aren't too many carrots involved. Nice write up and tick tick tick tick tick! Did you see the sunrise over Mount Smoot today? Absolutely stunning!!

Jason, carrots aren't there to help you catch up, they are there to help you bone up! Hope your shoulder heals fast, buddy.

Scott, we drove by Repulse today and thought of you. As long as we can trundle something, count me in for Skagway choss-doggin!

Some more photos are located here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112163202537262854361/LittleTahomaJune2011