fall at exit 38

uparock

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how or why he had a ground fall, but I work with the guys who responded yesterday so I got some details when I came on shift this morning. He fell 80' and suffered a leg injury, it was at the Neverland wall. The bad news...... another fire/ems crew was over exuberant and took chainsaws and cleared the trail, making a wide swath of destruction so they could carry the guy out on a stretcher. The trail is now a lot more obvious and a super hwy. They didn't know any better and SMR wasn't onscene so the "rescue" was run by firefighters.

I'm curious how somebody could take such a bigger whipper there too. Usualy if the belayer drops them we know it cause they are there spewing appologies the whole time

I don't know how or why he had a ground fall, but I work with the guys who responded yesterday so I got some details when I came on shift this morning. He fell 80' and suffered a leg injury, it was at the Neverland wall. The bad news...... another fire/ems crew was over exuberant and took chainsaws and cleared the trail, making a wide swath of destruction so they could carry the guy out on a stretcher. The trail is now a lot more obvious and a super hwy. They didn't know any better and SMR wasn't onscene so the "rescue" was run by firefighters.

I'm curious how somebody could take such a bigger whipper there too. Usualy if the belayer drops them we know it cause they are there spewing appologies the whole time

Glad the fella will be ok, it sounds like anyway. BTW, if I ever have an accident, if you have to saw every tree in a 5 mile radius to a nubbin to get my wide ass out, please do so! LOL

• 4 weeks later...
SMR isn't any better. Last year I watched them take 4 hours to get a guy off WW1 ledge, with a trad anchor on a wall full of bolts! Did the guy mess up cleaning the anchor?

I'm aware of that incident at WW1, I'm pals with SMR folks and I'm a Firefighter. Fireman are great and have good intentions, but if I'm broken up on a mtn I want SMR rescuing me. If I have a heart attack on a mtn top, I want Fire/EMS working me. Both have their strong points. I think SMR is a good agency and does great work. Regards to the incident on WW1, I think they choose to trust their own anchors over bolts that they can't vouch for. They have liability that you as a climber never need to consider when helping out another injured person.

I never did hear how this recent guy fell so far at a well protected wall.