high altitude boots

bistro

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drive to Seattle and try a bunch of boots on. It's the only way that you'll get a fit that you're satisfied with.

Depending on the climbing that you're doing (and since you specify 'high altitude'), you should really look at modern, synthetic double boots (baruntse, spantik, and the like) or those with an integrated overboot (kayland 8001, Sportiva Olympus Mons, Millet Everest, etc).

All three boots reviewed below will fit a narrow to medium foot easy enough. Sizing info is mentioned in each article. Kolflachs are not mentioned but generally fit well. Dated technology, having climbed a lot in them, I wouldn't buy a pair now. But still good boots.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/08/its-back-scarpa-6000-dbl-boot-and-2.html

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/04/la-sportiva-spantik.html

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/04/la-sportiva-baruntse.html

I doubt you will find all three and you'd be lucky to find just one in Seattle depending on your size. Likely the Spantik. Call around first and ask specifically for your sizes or something close. Easier to figure out your size and order (order in several sizes to be sure) from someone like Backcoutry.com or Zappos on line...as they do easy returns. Return what does not fit.

But I would figure out the perfect fit and size and then shop price on line.

The next step up is the full super gaiter style dbl boot so a triple really. La Sportiva Olympus Mons is a good example but there are others. These are the true "high altitude boots".

The others will do most places up to 6000M, past that or in artic conditions the triples might be a better idea. It really depends on your objective.

thanks for that info,i am thinking about Denali on my 60th. I don't really know how much more climbing i'll do after that but I only want to buy one last pair of boots just in case I get the itch again after that. Last year I bought Scarpa Omega's thinking they would work on Denali but have since learned they are not warm enough even with over boots. However they are really a first class light double boot good for winter slouging and did well in Equador. I have noticed and perhaps their are others but it seems my feet require more managment as I age. Having said that I will definatly check into Evo and Mons type boots. thanks again for the info

Other than cost....which in the long run is a seriously flawed arguement when this can the obvious result:

toes1.jpg

Even $1000 is cheap for boots in comparison.

Having warm feet and not having to dick with your boots or crampons on a trip? Priceless.