Mounting kicker skins. Don't laugh!

steverino

I've a question about mounting kicker skins, that I haven't answered with searching and reading various web sites.

I just got a pair of BD kickers. First question: one end has a metal slide/shield, a strip of webing, and a camlock buckle. I assume this end goes towards the front of the ski. Right?

Next question: where to position on the ski? I think they should be mounted so the midpoint of the skin is at the ball of my foot. It seems like this would give me the most skin to snow contact when my weight is on the ski. Sound about right?

If it matters, I'm telemarking.

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Why did you choose the kicker skins? Are you using a full reverse camber ski?

2. Yes, the metal slide goes toward the tip (front) of the ski.

3. The most traction when you skin will be underneath your foot, so mounting the skins centered on boot center is what's recommended, I believe.

Well, they don't have much camber in them, but there is a little.

I got the kickers primarily because after buying skis, bindings, and boots I was feeling *really* cheap! Heck, for at least awhile anyway I probably won't be good enough to ski down what the kickers can't climb. I'll mostly be touring. It will be awhile before I can attempt anything seen in the rainier trip report recently put up.

Thanks!

Steve