Smartwool vs. Capilene

kmehrtens

I am sure that this topic has already been debated, but I can't seem to find it. I am going to Rainier this summer and need to decide between the two for a base layer for both uppers & bottoms. I like the idea of wool, since it still warms when wet and does stink as quick. But I like the synthetic material because it dries quickly.

What is everyone's opinion?

The next question is what weight.

Capilene 1, 2 or 3?

Smartwool Micro, Lightweight, Midweight?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

either way ok. no one way is best for all, only what works for you.

what works for me is a synthetic t shirt, synthetic long sleeve shirt (like a pata R1), windshirt, and lw puffy and a goertex jacket for the nasty times. Never used the swartwool due to cost.

My personal experience with Merino Wool base layers is that they are comfortable, less funky smelling, but take way too long to dry. I hardly ever use my wool stuff climbing anymore, and stick to my Capilene. For summer, I like the thinest variety in white or light grey for sunny weather, and like Genepires, layer over it. In winter, I will go for Capilene 3 or R-1 hoody for baselayer. Hope that helps, but either one should work just fine.

I go with the crowd that synthetic is the way to go for active use in summer. Better breathability and drying.

That being said, I do love the feel of wool against skin for cooler weather. It just has a nice fuzziness in contrast to the silkiness of capilene. I pack it as an extra layer during summer if I think I might get chilled. Nothing like pulling the woolies over the sticky legs and climbing into a down bag! It probably adds 5-10 degrees of warmth.

Edited by curtveld

For long underwear or pants I like modern synthetic materials but for years we climbed in army surplus wool pants and they worked just fine. For a tee shirt I've always worn cotton. I like a buttoned short sleeve shirt as a tee shirt when I'm going to be hiking with a pack. I work hard not to overdress and overheat and, when it does get wet, I may dry it out by taking it off and wearing it over a sweater at a rest break or camp. I don't like the feel of synthetics, I like having a breast pocket for a map or food bar, and the cotton shirt tail works better to wipe my glasses.