How many "climbers" in WA?

Jens

Outdoor recreation and the PNW go hand in hand. It seems that every job I've ever had, I've always run into other climbers. Some of my relatives have stories about climbing back in the 60's etc. Sure a lot of people dabble in the sport but how many climbers are their in this State?

The reason I ask is that how many million people live in WA? And everyone and their brother seems to climb but I often run into the same people up in the mountains or at the crags.

Let's define "climber" as anyone that gets out at least four times a year.

Sorry Oregon and BC folks. Maybe somebody could start another thread on those places.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its us Oregon and BC climbers that you see in the mountains and not the so called "washington climbers."

Not to be too snotty Jens but be careful how you define a real "climber". I get into trouble with this all the time. You realize under your def I could go toproping on 5.5's for two weekends and call myself a climber. I hear what your saying though. Every time I ask a serious question (like about how much horsecock a certain climb needs) it seems the same people have info on routes. Makes you wonder how many wankers there are out there.

Well, me and another good old boy were ripping out them there bolts up that there Ice-Sickle canyon yesterday. Afterwards, we saw a couple of them there 'west-siders,' and drug em down by the river and made em squeal like pigs. Damn! Them there Seattle boys is good! What was your question agin? Dennis

[ 07-18-2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Harmon ]

There are currently 2,463 registered users of cc.com. Cutting that in half so as not to count the avatars leaves 1232 actual people. Half of those people don't meet the "definition" of being a climber, so now we have 616 actual climbers. I'm estimating that 75% of those people are in WA, so there are 462 actual people that climb in WA that are registered on cc.com. I'll estimate that 1 in every 50 climbers in WA is registered here, so there are roughly 23,100 total climbers in WA. [laf]

How much booty gear do I win if my answer is the closest to the official census report?

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Well, me and another good old boy were ripping out them there bolts up that there Ice-Sickle canyon yesterday. Afterwards, we saw a couple of them there 'west-siders,' and drug em down by the river and made em squeal like pigs. Damn! Them there Seattle boys is good! What was your question agin? Dennis

I gru up hut'in Bear on the west side, bin a long time sence my dougs have had a good run.They usealy don't run weasle but in your case I will make an exception. I prefer to tree ,but if prevoked they or I will strike.

Caus'in it ain't hunt,in season when treed I will have to put the AR up you [Moon] to muffel the blast could get messy [Eek!]

End result one less weasle bolt chopper [laf]

Spray and yea shall be sprayed upon [Wink]

jkrueger, Your figure of 23,100 climbers in the state of Washington sounds reasonable to me. My question to you is...How many of those climbers are shitting in zip-lock bags and carrying out their waste? Kind of makes you want to buy a water filter, doesn't it? Maybe we could all deposit our wastes in plastic bags and present them to the local USFS headquarters. If a ranger isn't present, let's just leave the bags on their door-steps for appropriate disposal. Just an idea. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

Gets out and does what?
[Wink]

• Gets out of the Muir Hut without a buzz on
  • Gets out of their SUV to wash the mud off
  • Gets out of having to belay a hangdogger
  • Gets out of work to go climbing
  • Gets out of their own state to go climbing
  • Gets out of the topic of discussion on a thread
  • Gets out of a near-death situation

In my mind there are people who climb and climbers. In the "people who climb" category I put everyone from a first time beginner all the way up to the weekend warrior. They can even be very skilled.

To be a "climber" however means you live and breathe climbing. Your job, if you have one, allows you to climb extensively and you probably work only seasonally. You always want to talk abou t climbing and are planning your next road trip. In other words climbing is your life. It may not be everything in your life but your life revolves around climbing. Not everyone wants to do this. It seems to be a romantic idea to call yourself a "climber" but there is nothing wrong with not being this dedicated to climbing. You can't tell by looking at someone or even asking how hard they climb. It is quite simply a state of mind.

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

That thar Dick Noggin, he shore do gotta perdy mouth.
[Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by richard noggin:

Spray and yea shall be sprayed upon
[Wink]

Sorry Mitch I am not a butt hole suffer like you and yur two climbing partners.

But my Hunt'in dogs would be lik'in to have there way with you. Af'er this do good'er no hound hunt'in thing they have been gett'in hungry for the hunt.

I been train'in them with pussy cat,yur not a cat but your 50% there.

It be gett'in time for tree(pursuit) only season, shur would like to see your [Moon] up that tar tree with my hounds bay'in at the bottom [Wink][laf]

[ 07-20-2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: richard noggin ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Richard (Dick)...Were you one of them boys up the Ice Cycle yesterday? If that was you, I just wanted to compliment ya. You was good, damned good, and after a time you seemed to enjoy it. Dennis

If you be mean'in my bar dougs tear'in you'ins [Moon] apart,yeah me and my dougs loved it. I didn't be lik'in the part were'ins you started cry'in and say'in you wanted yur momie.

Me and my dougs live to chase varments.

There be any more bolt chopp'in varments that be up for good run let me know ,I wont be feed'in them bar dougs for a few days ,they hunt better hungry [laf]