Climb Max going out of business

hemp22

I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere else, but just in case anyone hasn't seen the announcement, Portland's beloved climbing shop, Climb Max, is going out of business on June 18.

They have been a huge asset for the local climbing community - sponsoring endless adopt-a-crags, competitions, films, and other events.

Stop by one last time to drop a few last bucks, and bid farewell to a great shop.

http://www.climbmaxmountaineering.com/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they weren't bought out.

As a climbing-gear-only specialty shop, they just weren't able to compete with the larger stores that also carry clothes, skis, tents, etc.

Having larger stores in town (like 3 REIs) and online climbing gear shops just ended up being too tough to compete with.

They intend to keep their guide service / rock-wall business going, but the shop itself is closing.

Note that they'll be having a huge going out of business sale starting on Monday the 13th - 30% off everything, I believe.

You only have had to watch OMC walk-in retail go from two full floors to 1 1/2 to 1 to 1/2 a floor as their internet sales rose to see what's going on. I think it's just an inevitable part of the process as we as a society sort out what we're going to buy on line and what we want to actually see, touch, and hold before buying. Mostly going to end up big box and on-line with few exceptions inbetween.

Bummer all the way around, but you have to ask yourself how much gear did you buy on-line or big box (REI) last year vs. walk-in to shops like Climb Max?

Steve, it kind of sad really, but you don't really have much of a flair when it comes to this online thing. To be honest, a somewhat wittier and cutting repartee would actually be welcome change from this sort of droll. Suck it up man, maybe it's in there somewhere...