Avalanche on The Brothers Saturday (6/4/2011)

Xerinae

Happened late Saturday afternoon at about 4,800 ft.

Came from a ridge above our climbing party and built up momentum as it came towards us.

Took out one from our climbing party of three (we were staggered a couple hundred feet apart). Person in the front was on a ridgeline and avoided it. I ran out of the way of it (I was in the middle). Last climber couldn’t maneuver out of its path in time.

Took her down some 500 ft of elevation, she stayed on top. I kept my eye on her so I’d know where to dig, luckily I didn’t have to.

Only minor injuries sprang ankle, bruises, and minor abrasions.

I lost my ice axe in the chaos, so did she (it was not leashed, probably for the better).

5-10 minutes later we saw a party of three glissading down from the summit. It tried to explain to them there had been an avalanche. They told me they had been seeing them all day and were “well aware of them”. I elaborated that one of our party members was in one. They asked if she was OK, and said it was very likely they triggered it and were sorry. They then continued to glissade down.

Luckily it was a wet sluff avalanche, hence only the minor injuries. We helped carry her pack out of the 6 mile “trail” that is The Brother’s bushwhack.

Lesson Learned: We DEFINITELY should’ve hit the mountain earlier and were making bad time. Already planning a return visit, luckily she is in high spirits and is determined to give it another go.

P.S. if you see a Petzl Summit and/or BD Raven Pro up there, let me know!

Pictures and a more detailed account to come, possibly.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad everyone is ok! It sounds like that other group was being a bit irresponsible. How did the overall avy conditions seem? Did natural triggers seem like a possibility? I am planning on climbing in the olympics on saturday, so I will keep this in mind.

I wouldn't put the blame on the descending party, especially if they couldn't see climbers below. In the spring, it isn't unreasonable to set off a slope in the late afternoon before you glissade down it. There is a reason to get an early start.

I don't blame them, I would've done the same thing (re: glissade down from summit). I just did not appreciate their cavalier attitude. I probably would've volunteered to help too, but that's me.

Edited by Xerinae